The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members of The Combine Forum. I have recently began thinking about moving this forum to a new software system. I know change is not something we all want or like but necessary to grow as a community.

The major benefits of the change would be a streamline of the website and it's capabilities on the administration end. It would also add several new features and capabilities this forum doesn't offer currently or would make the features more accessible for you, the users.

The big con's of the move are some of the stepping stones encountered but nothing that would hinder the forum. The website URL would remain the same, so you would still use the same address and be taken to the forum, but the forum will not contain any of the content found on this website, and would have to be started from scratch. You would also have to re-register on the new site.

This website currently would remain open for a period of time as an archive but would eventually be closed or no longer linked too. Also the stickied threads that contain vital information (Custom Harvester Contact, Repair / Maintenance Threads / etc.) would all be moved to the new site.

I know this going to cause some discussion and I hope it does, and it will upset a few but I feel it will make a more polished product in the long run that is easier to use and better at utilizing the resources at hand.

If you have an opinion / thought / comment / concern / suggestion / idea / etc. feel free to discuss it here.

Alex

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
I would move over for sure. Keep the format similar (I can't stand how Agtalk's threads disappear even if they are popular!). And it would give a chance to refine some boards/sub-boards as well.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We would try to emulate this website as much as possible as to not lose the look everyone has grown accustomed too.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A move wouldn't bother me. I can understand how some might be upset about losing all of their content, but if someone really wants to see my wheat harvest pics from three years ago they can just wait a few months and I'll have some identical ones to post. Plus, I'm getting kind of tired of people necroposting in six-page long trollercoaster threads that died months (or even years) ago and should have stayed dead.

What software are you thinking about switching to? The only other one I really have any experience with is phpBB. I generally like it better than Proboards, except the new version puts the user's info on the right side of the screen, and as far as I know there isn't the option to change it (that's what some forum admins said, anyway). It isn't really a problem, just disconcerting until one gets used to it. Also, Proboards has better smileys.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Alex,

This is possibly the douchiest of douche ideas i have ever heard. I like the fact that this forum will not load on my smart phone, is covered with google ads and the fact that proboards owns all its contents. It rocks. Best format ever! I mean EVER! There is no better format. If you move it I will pull my membership. I will pull an upper decker in the toilet at your house. I will then pee between your mattresses. And will take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner and NEVER call her back!

Ok--just kidding--I think the move would be fantastic for the forum. Get into something more smart-phone friendly and dial up friendly for the people who do not have more options.

Good move, I support fully. I still may pull and upper decker though!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sure change/upgrades are necessary at some time.

I will say this is probably the most user friendly of any of the boards I frequent. Try to keep it this user friendly if possble.

·
Registered
123 Posts
as long as it's similar to this site I don't have a problem but if it works like ag talk where you have to click on each thread I would just as soon stay like it is

·
Premium Member
5,712 Posts
You can change settings on agtalk so it runs like this forum. But this is still the best forum (and i really do like the case color scheme, even with NH combines!).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I'm up for the move. I like new, it would kind of be like getting a new tractor or combine! Well ok not really, but it wouldn't be that bad.

Keep the colour scheme themes though, I like the NH one..even with my red blood,

I rarely browse Agtalk because of its goofy forum setup. I fiddled with the settings and still don't like it, so as long as the new forum doesn't run like that one, I am all for it!

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Not bad, Alex

If you need help, let me know. I can donate hosting services for the forum free of charge and free of ads... Also have years of experience admin'ing phpBB, SMF, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would like to see a new topic to discuss. Manure handling just as far as custom applicators like myself and has well as farmers of to what type of equiment to run ? to as what kind of gallons per arce to put on. Every other topic is discussed here so why not manure everyone has so lets talk bout it. I have not found one forum that has it so start it I think it would be a great hit!
Thanks.
Push for poop!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would like to see a political topics spot, because the increase in political stuff is making me sick.
Don't get me wrong its great that we can talk about it(a lot of forums ban it), but time to time I need a break from it. It would be nice if wasn't mixed in with the other off topics things.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts