The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading trucks just cant decide to go with ultrashifts or stay with the manuals for good old reliability. Would make training new guys way more easier that's for sure. Just wanting some thoughts of guys running them if there worth it or not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We have both, the auto shift is great on road or off road in summer. Not favourite in winter cause it will delay just a bit to long when going thru snow in yard. You can manually lock it if you are thinking quick enough. We bought a prostar day cab from estevan. Dj truck 306 421-8952. He had nice low km trucks that were all from sask. He is a farmer and completely explained the diff between auto shift, with or without clutch pedal, and 10 to 18 speed both standard and auto. He said they sell more standard then anything but said farmers have nothing to fear because they are not automatic transmissions, the are auto shifting transmissions. Same tranny, just shift by computer instead of a guy that may have trouble shifting a truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
He said they sell more standard then anything but said farmers have nothing to fear because they are not automatic transmissions, the are auto shifting transmissions.
What, exactly, is there to fear about a modern day Allison Automatic?
A fear of no driveline damage issues?
A fear of a harder yet more gentle and smoothly accelerating truck?
A fear of no power pauses on acceleration?
A fear of the best possible fuel economy?
A fear anyone can do exactly the same perfect job of shifting?
A fear of steady, continuous, engine braking on deceleration?
A fear of no driveline destruction issues?

If I had a those fears I'd have a lot of problems.
I don't.;)

And now they have a ten speed.:)

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
Good post Don. The main fear people have with automatics is long term durability and repair costs. With a Allison can you use jake or engine brakes?

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
Good post Don. The main fear people have with automatics is long term durability and repair costs. With a Allison can you use jake or engine brakes?
Thanks, I think some have some pretty outdated preconceptions on automatics.
Yes, fully engine braking compatible integrated with antilock-brakes.
Hmm, forgot about that fear.;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
My help only drive the truck with the auto in it. That's there truck of choice. The only thing I've ever done to the trans is check the oil and change the filter when required. If a truck with a auto transmission will work for you it's the one to get because at harvest it will be the most used truck and will do it faster and safer for the truck and drivers. They can just drive and not worry about shifting.

As for the auto shifting trans, all the truckers around here still have manual shifts. When asked why they tell me that when the auto shifts fail its a tow into repair shop 120 miles away. Sometimes they won't shift at all, not even with the buttons. Down time is not making you any money at all. But it sounds like this new emission crap is giving more trouble now than the auto shifts ever did.

·
Registered
518 Posts
We have a 10 spd. auto shift in a Sterling, and a auto in a FL80..If we ever upgrade it would be the auto..forsure..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Most of our hauls are 6 miles that makes for alot of shifting we love the automatics alot easier on the trucker at harvest. Some guys say a real trucker uses an 18 speed. I say *uck off I'm a farmer my right hand holds the coffee mug not a shifter

·
Registered
450 Posts
Most of our hauls are 6 miles that makes for alot of shifting we love the automatics alot easier on the trucker at harvest. Some guys say a real trucker uses an 18 speed. I say *uck off I'm a farmer my right hand holds the coffee mug not a shifter
They used to say the same in the UK but its been maybe mid 80s since you could order a new truck with a Fuller Roadranger constant mesh box, we all went syncros back then!!!

About 90% or more new trucks ordered in UK this past 5yrs or so will be specced with auto's and they are very VERY good!!!!!!:cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,358 Posts
About 90% or more new trucks ordered in UK this past 5yrs or so will be specced with auto's and they are very VERY good!!!!!!:cool:
Local Freightliner dealer tells me about 80% of the trucks a go out Allison Automatics, and that's a heavy oil field trade as well as farmer and highway trucks.
Likely the highway trucks make up the majority of non autos would be my swag.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can you get the Allison Auto in high HP trucks? For some reason I thought they were only in 350hp and less, and the manual or auto-shift in 350hp+.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
What, exactly, is there to fear about a modern day Allison Automatic?
A fear of no driveline damage issues?
A fear of a harder yet more gentle and smothly accelerating truck?
A fear of no power pauses on acceleration?
A fear of the best possible fuel economy?
A fear anyone can do exactly the same perfect job of shifting?
.....Fear of change!;)

If I was buying a truck it would either have an I-Shift or an Allison automatic, depending on brand of truck and availability. I can't stand using the truck with the 18 speed now.:(

You can't tell a "trucker" anything you know.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I recently bought a newer tandem with a thirteen speed ultrashift my only complaints are sometimes its hard to get into gear from neutral I hear this is common. Most of the time it is good though and shifts beautifully down the road. My help is all retired guys at harvest and my roadranger in my other tandem was taking a real beating from them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i like the autoshift-meritor 12 spd for the highway work. we have had 2 for the race car toterhome, one in a volve the other in a columbia. they are nice to drive if you have an overabundance of power, but when they drop out of high gear they are torque and speed/rpm limited until you can upshift again. you get stuck in 11th gear even though it can pull in 12. they do take some getting used to especially when inching and lining up to stuff, not as precise control. there is more cab room also. the bad thing is less control over shifts, as when you need to run a higher gear in icy conditions, they are not nearly as effective in poor road and slippery stuff, the option of skipshifting is out and braking with a jake is different than what you may be used to. kind of a toss up in many ways. i do still prefer the manual shift, real operators do prefer the reliability and options you control, and yes if the computer craps the bed you may be s o l. any idiot can and do operate the autoshifts, as far as the allison trans, it is a great product, but it does not offer the number of gears to maximize the engine, and there are still some losses in the convertor, they are rugged trans and do help minimize driveline shock, except some of them really hit hard on the shifts if your foot is into it. anyways it sure beats pushing

·
Registered
169 Posts
most of the guys I listen to that list how much they don't like auto shift in heavy trucks have never even driven one before!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don, you seem to jump on me because of wording. I meant to say that the guy was very good at explaining the diff between all the trannies available. He never slammed an automatic, he was explaining the diff between between auto shift and automatic and how they all work. Could not find a better guy to actually take the time to show us and let us drive them all including 6 speed Allison. Not all of us know the diff, because we buy trucks once every 12 years. You are obviously a much smarter individual then I. I apologies for offending you.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Yes you can, the price jumps accordingly the higher the hp to the point of $15,000 - $20,000over a 18 speed manual.
Yikes! I think it was 4K for the I shift, best option I got on my trucks.....except maybe the 4-way lockers.;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts