1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got the combines washed and one draper head

Just wondering what you guys do when done

a few things weve been noticeing

on the 2nd and sometimes 3rd or 4th year machine the two black box's on the feeder that tell you the height of the head and works with the field tracker seem to freeze and need replaced alot.

Is this common and what do you do to stop it?

Also weve been noticeing on the used combines more and more you cannot use the rotor shifter up by the cab..

You have to go in the back engine compartment with a hammer and hit the long bar sticking up that the cable's supposed to move

What problems have you noticed being a common pest???

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Personally we put the combines away dirty. We don't want to wash everything up and then put it away before it has a chance to dry out really good. We'll wash them up before we start cutting next season.

I'd grease everything good before I put it away.

It is probably a good idea to slow down the rotor speed as much as possible, which releases the spring pressure on the rotor drive pulley.

Obviously clean as much of the dirt and grain out of the machine as possible with an air hose. You don't need to give mice a reason to look around and taste the wires.

-Lance

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'll second alot of things Lance has mentioned, we prefer not to wash them before storing for a long time. Although this year with all the mud on the machine we will be forced too. We clean all the air filters, blow the machine off, open all the elevator doors and clean the cab. Our 04 2388 when we got it we couldn't use the rotor speed shifter by the cab, had to loosen it up in the engine bay. It works now just fine, i think if it is not used it just freeze's up. We also clean all the fodder out from undernieth corn header snouts around the gathering chains. Some people say to take off all the chains and store them in oil but we've never done that, we usually rechain our machine every summer anyways. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Here is some great info sent to my by a Case IH mechanic friend of mine...
---------------------
Probably the reason he can't shift the rotor from the left side of the cab is that the lever in the engine compartment that he hits with a hammer gets corroded on the stub shaft it pivots on. The best solution is to remove the linkage which is held on by a 1/2 inch bolt, and remove the cotter pin which holds the lever on, probably need a bar to pry out and a hammer to tap the lever back and forth until it comes off. Clean it up and put some never sieze on it. I have noticed on the two 2588's I have predelivered that this lever fits alot looser now probably for this reason. Also I believe that the newest feeder position potentiometers have a plastic bushing on the arm instead of a metal to eliminate the locking up of the arm, a process often sped up by washing. As far as washing, as a mechanic who has to climb around on them all winter I recomend blowing off everything, wash the outside, grease, then run for a half hour or so before putting away, my .02.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I finally got around to washing our combine today. Luckly it was in the mid 80's today. The 15-20mph wind also helped dry everthing out.
Does anyone else start their combine once a month and let it run for 15-30 minutes to keep the battery charged?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wash off the combine tinwork and around the engine area but avoid doing under the guards, then after a few days I grease it right round. I like to have it serviced by christmas. Then there is only oil and air/fuel filters to change in June. I run the engine once a month for 20 minutes and try to pick a warmish day so the ac can run. I usually put the rotor into gear every 3 months and stop it so the chaffer hangers are in the middle of their stroke.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We blow ours out with an air hose, wash off the outside and the headers with a powerwasher and park them in the shed. They get serviced about a week before harvest. They probably don't get run but once between the harvests. We don't do much, but keep in mind we run new ones every year or every other year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am new to owning a newer bigger combine and was wondering what else a man should do before putting the combine away. does any of you guys wax your combines. thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts