The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the descision has been made and the deed done, we are now the owners of a 2004 2388 header with a macdon 1052 front. it has done 1148 rotor hrs and looks ok to me, but with me being new to red headers i hope we have made the right choice. From everything I read and hear I think it will be all good. I guess the true test will come when we put it in the paddock.

time will tell

steve

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Which has always been weird to to me since "header" typically refers to something at the front or top of something else. Since the the threshing and separating unit is aft of the header shouldn't it be called the "footer?"

All foolishness aside, congrats, stevo. I hope the 2388 treats you right.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys i hope it treats me well too. Its something i have also found a bit wierd the whole combine/header thing but i guess as long as we know what we are talking about then who cares

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Congrats stevo you will hopefully be happy with your 2388 we are easy to use and work on
hope you like it Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
And it gets worse because what we call a combine im not what you call i think maybe a drill.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now youre just going to confuse them all goldenvale hahahaha. The only thing I thinnk of when I hear combine is the old Inter 511 or chamberlain 753.

Steve

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ask about the seperator belt and if the engagement mechanism has been updated....we went threw several of those d**n belts on our 03 and 04 combines...then they fixed it in 05 i think..

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ask about the seperator belt and if the engagement mechanism has been updated....we went threw several of those d**n belts on our 03 and 04 combines...then they fixed it in 05 i think..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Casefarmer is it possible to tell by looking at the setup if it has been updated or not? I know rotor belts are a bit of a concern on those machines as I know several guys that seem to break them every year, mainly while harvesting lupins when it is damp. I am expecting to have to learn how to change a rotor belt this coming harvest.

steve

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Wanting to go back to case myself (CX840 at the moment)
Might wait a year or two tho for the 8010's as id like to keep the self leveling sieves. I thought i read here somewhere that they have them. Correct me if im wrong. We still have our 1420 in the shed clean all our seed through it now. Youll be fine with it stevo.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
going to pick it up today. 150 km at 30km/hr going to be a long trip. Oh well I will get a chance to have a good look at the crops around the place.

steve

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
A large farm had several 1480's 1680's and the deere guys at the coffe shop would always laugh about them breaking rotor belts....

they finally asked dad how often does he have to replace his on the 1480 and in 15 years he only did once...

its not always the combines/Belts fault......

that belt won't be a concern and its been a while so talk to the dealer or have them come out and look at it....i can't recall what all goes into that update.... but it needs looked at or you might be doing the seperator belt and thats no fun..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
we were running a 2002 TR 89 and we loved it, it was a great machine for simplicity of setup and capacity wise it stood up to much larger machine of other colours as long as it was hot. One thing we found was that TRs LOVE hot weather 40 C +. But the biggest problem with that was the front which was a 1998 973 flexifront and due to the age of it and the amount of chickpeas we harvested with it in the late 90's it was getting a bit tired for relying on it for the whole crop, Having said that we took the whole lot off with it last year (3600 ha) (well nearly the whole lot) but it gave us a bit of grief due to old age, We have still got the TR because dealerships seem to be alergic to them and it is worth more to us than the 30000 we were offered for it so i think we will do it up and use it for things like canola, lupins, chickpeas and anything else that looks to difficult to get with a draper. Although we will probably advertise it in the lead up to harvest and see if we can get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
They seem to be allergic to all trades, we never seem to trade more a lot of our gear they sell on our behalf, which is ok.
Didn't want to move up to a CR or a newer TR?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts