The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a New Holland Header (combine for you from the north) owner but we are in the market for a second hand header. I am fairly new to cases although i have driven a few for a short time. In a few days i am going to have a look at a 2004 model 2388 with about 1100 rotor hours on it and i am wondering if there is anything obvious that i should be looking for. i think i will be able to give it a run but it wont have the front on. Thanks in advance

steve

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey steve we have a 2000 2388 and it is a great machine ours has got a lot of hours on it but still goes custom harvesting.we have had a bit of trouble with the back axle cracking around the pivot point but a rebuild last year has them stopped. But don't know any other thing ours has been that good to us.

Roger

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i would check the left hand corner of transition cone for wear...shouldn't be any yet but still would want open up the access doors on the feeder house to check that. Also make sure the rotor belt is in good condition. Thirdly i highly recommend getting your injectors extude honed by Dynomite Diesel, $50 dollars an injector plus shipping. Very fast turn around and turns your machine into a crop hungry monster. Did it too our 2188 and we litterally cant feed it enough before the header starts bunching and stripping in wheat, 5.5 w/30ft 1010 in 65bu/acre HRW.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks blanchfarm and farminflyboy, I will definately check the rotor belt and transition cone and that back axle pivot for cracks. As for the injectors, I am not really worried about capacity as our crops rarely get above 40bu/ac and mostly are about 25 bu/ac it is not going to be an issue. Besides in the years we do have big crops keeping the grain away from the paddock is the biggest challenge.

thanks again

Steve

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey stevo the other thing my old man reminded me of today is the front drive couplings we had to put a new input shaft in to the final drive last year but we are four wheel drive and do use it a bit. just grab the shaft and give it a twist lots of movment not good. and see if it has be greased they say 100hrs but we do ever 2 days when working.

Cheers roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts