The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
I like the concept of this drill. Broadcast your fertilizer ahead, blacken the field with the disc part while getting weed control without chemical, immediately seed into moisture on narrow spacing. Not sure they make a unit wider than 30' though and the one I looked at had a lot of wobbly disc bearings and it wasn't very old, so I question the quality of the unit based on that. Have not run one though, would be interested to hear from someone who has.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this idea is definitely interesting and 30 feet is the widest they make them. They could be a big seller in world without roundup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
fellow in my area has one he pulls his at 10mph says that's where does best job his crops come up pretty nice and even no better than my disc drill I believe its 4 inch spacing

·
Registered
706 Posts
Pretty sure I've seen this thing in action at AIM during there seeding demos, definitely an interesting concept.
The maintenance looks like a nightmare...

·
Registered
11 Posts
If it’s a Pottinger it will be well build . Atleast in the hay equipment it’s second to none I find . Talk to those young guy outside of Regina that sell they seem to specialize in the equipment and as far as parts have been excellent with me. I think the service guy runs one and has 20,000 plus acres on if I remember from talking with him at aim with Hardly any maintenance yet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I seen one of these units closeup at an ag show the other day. Looks like a great concept. I wonder though about how they’d handle clay loam. I told the dealer to try it out on some heavy clay this spring. I hope he does cause that might seal the deal for some guys if it’s successful.
Anyway this whole thing got me thinking about where we are going with equipment and the costs and size of it. I have a decent sized 4wd tractor to tug a drill around for 150 hours a year. Doesn’t get used for anything else. I bought it used for a decent price so it justifies on my acres. There is no way I’d ever afford a new one. However, our loader tractors are kept new as they get the most use with our livestock operation. I look at something like a high speed seeding rig like a Terrasem and could justify a 250 to 300 hp loader tractor to do some chores, pull a drill, plow snow, etc. Different strokes for different folks I guess but am I making any sense?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts