The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had a trouble with bully dog or ts performance chips throwing codes and reducing power on the high setting, was told 30% is to much on the 9.0 liter engines.

has anybody had any luck with the steinbauer chips? or the agricultural perfprmace solution chips?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have two ts performance chips they worked on my 2 9660's with 9 liter but the last two sets of 9670 i have had they just throw injector codes. On my 9660's the chips made them into harvesting hotrods it made a heck of a difference just not 15000 dollars of difference in my book to buy a 9760. It got to the point that my brother and i would turn down each others chip when the other wasnt paying attention or gone just to mess with each other. I wish i could find a way to update my chips so they work again or find some new ones that work

·
Registered
47 Posts
put a ts chip in our 9660 with 9L last year, and it blew black smoke and cut power when it was dialed up all the way.
just left it in the middle since then, can't say that i noticed a noticable difference with it either on or off.
which way is turned up on the dial? clockwise i assume?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah amax it hooked to the fuelsensor and manifold sensor it just trows individual injector codes right now

Greenseeder it sounds like you have a bad chip i would send it back for another one the only time mine blew black smoke was when it was really cold out like in the lower 30 degee F at start up but to get around that we just turned them to stock until everything got warmed up

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tom why is the engine gonna blow up? and why would there be no warenty just gotta move the plug without cutting the cable right?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the combine devices are like the pickup devices some of them will leave an "artifact" in the ecm. I have seen truck engines that were denied warranty claims because of just such and item. On the other hand I have used a Hypertech unit in my duramax truck for 7 years and 170000 miles with not a bit of trouble. A little care and common sense works wonders.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Higher than specified fuel delivery increases cylinder firing pressures as well as the amount of heat energy released into the combustion chamber. The resulting higher engine operating temperature reduces the fatigue strength of the pistons, dramatically decreasing their life and reliability

The axles, final drives and PTO are sized to match the power of the tractors. Increasing the power will reduce the life and cause premature failure of all load-carrying components of the total drivetrain

Try moving the plug without cutting the cable.

·
Registered
975 Posts
TS Performance has a new program for the new 9L engines. It does not through codes. I talked to them yesterday about a problem with a weak fuel rail pressure sensor on a Deere, and they told me about the new program.

Quote:Posted by Tom Turner on Sept 27, 2009, 4:41pm
No Warranty and blow that engine UP.

Funny how you have all those problems with the green ones blowing up, you don't with the red ones. However the green ones that I've chipped haven't blown up either. Guess they have special tractors, or maybe a little common sense.

Quote:Posted by Tom Turner on Yesterday at 8:29pm
Higher than specified fuel delivery increases cylinder firing pressures as well as the amount of heat energy released into the combustion chamber. The resulting higher engine operating temperature reduces the fatigue strength of the pistons, dramatically decreasing their life and reliability

The axles, final drives and PTO are sized to match the power of the tractors. Increasing the power will reduce the life and cause premature failure of all load-carrying components of the total drivetrain

Try moving the plug without cutting the cable.

Isn't the 9L rated for a higher hp in other applications? How is it gonna hurt the engine if it is?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMAX whats the CHIPS company called, what did u do to fix the problem, can i now get that chip and be able to run 30% instead of 20%

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

The module is made by Agricultural Diesel Solutions.
Was told by the owner that the modules have a 30 day money back guarontee.
Lifetime warrenty and said would never cause a code.
I was also told that you could run on any setting without creating any codes.
Only stipulation is may have to change fuel filters more often.

Selling price for the small engine units are $649.00 and large units is $1695.

TIA

Amax

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Does that mean when JD puts their "chip or fuel program" in a 8000 series tractor to make it an 8430 instead of an 8330 that it is going to blow up? Most fo these tractors are the exact same machine from the cab to the engine to the axles as long as there the same frame size IE 8000 series. All deere is doing is putting different stickers on them and remapping the fuel software. For example the new JD 8225R which is the smallest HP in the large frame has the same 9.0L engine, same 120mm axles, same 40L cooling system capacity as the 8345R which is the largest HP in that frame.

Now if your talking diesel pickups then yes they are designed with a certain amount of power cushion for there components. You chip them over that cushion and the weakest link will fail, usually the tranny. But there are far more idiots running diesel pickups these days than tractors. I don't think you will find too many farmers that will take a 200,000 dollar tractor and add 50-75% more power through a chip like the lug heads in the pickups do. You take a 8345R and try to turn it up to pull with a 9630 and somethings gonna break.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi all

I also have been selling TS boxes since 2006 with great success.
The few problems I did have were taken care of quickly.
I just had some customers with aplications for units that TS could not fill.
Steinbaur and Area Diesel have filled those needs ,just cost more.

TIA

Amax

·
Registered
975 Posts
TS will also stand behind their chips. If it dosen't work they will fix it or take it back. Any I had problems with that I have sold they have took care of for me anyway, and I've been a dealer for 5+ years now. ADS stuff is ok just higher priced. Like I said before the new 9L chip is designed to not through codes.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
This the John Deere power management system.
http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/sales....ag&link=prodcat

Attachments, Intelligent Power Management for transport and PTO power

Intelligent Power Management

NOTE: Intelligent Power Management is only available for Tier 3/Stage IIIA engines and not for Stage II engines.

This feature is for many typical farming operations that use the rear PTO in high-power applications or the tractor as a transport vehicle. Operators who are looking for more power in non-stationary PTO and transport applications will be interested in the Intelligent Power Management feature.

In high rear PTO power applications such as forage harvesters, rototillers, and beet or potato harvesting equipment or where heavy trailers, carts, or implements are moved to and from various locations, this feature will provide significant additional capabilities. The solution will improve productivity with more consistent ground speeds, quicker acceleration, and the ability to better hold desired transport speeds.

This two-in-one tractor solution will successfully operate in power-intensive PTO and transport applications at reasonable low fuel consumption without being disadvantaged by the higher weight, the bigger proportions, and the extra costs of the next higher horsepower model.

This feature is available as a factory- or field-installed option.

Tractor applications

8R Tractor in implement transport

Intelligent Power Management is appropriate for use with the following applications.

Rear PTO field applications

Rear-mounted snow blowers
Sugar beet harvesting
Forage harvesters
Potato harvesting
Rotary cutters
Mower conditioners
Flail mowers
Balers
Soil stabilizing
Power harrow
Vegetable bed formers
Muck spreaders

Transport applications

Grain carts or wagons
Slurry tanks
Implement transport from field to field
Pull-type sprayers
Extensive operation in hills/roadways

This is not intended to be an inclusive list of all applications but shows the wide range of uses for additional engine horsepower.

Power available

Intelligent Power Management provides engine power increase in levels proportional to the size of the tractor. Intelligent Power Management provides a controlled power boost of up to 26 kW (35 engine hp) to tractor under the following operating conditions:

Tractor moving and PTO under load
Transport during acceleration
Transport during deceleration

Power increase is not provided under draft applications or non loaded rear PTO applications. Power increase is only provided when required.

How it works

There are specific operating parameters when Intelligent Power Management functions to boost engine power. It is the "intelligent" part of the system that provides seamless operation while adjusting the engine horsepower depending on how the tractor is being used. For engine horsepower boost activation, the tractor must already be running an application that is using the full power capability of the tractor.

PTO activation

Power must be sensed going through the PTO drive clutch by the tractor electronic systems. The tractor must be moving at least 0.5 km/h (0.3 mph) and PTO consuming moderate power before power boost engages. The speeds shown above, assume lowest possible gear or speed setting and the engine running at 2100 rpm.

NOTE: If the tractor is equipped with a front PTO, additional Intelligent Power Management power will transfer through the front PTO. However, Intelligent Power Management activation is only sensed through the rear PTO. Adequate load must be sensed on the rear PTO in order for Intelligent Power Management to activate.

Transport activation

When in transport applications, power transition is smooth. The engine will respond seamlessly as load changes, such as when going up and down hills. Additional power is available at a useful working speed with minor differences between tractor models and transmissions.

The minimum ground speed is where additional power will begin to be applied, assuming the engine is already fully loaded. Ramp up to full additional power occurs as speed continues to increase. Full additional power occurs within a 3 mph (5 km/h) band.

Transport during acceleration; power boost occurs in steps through the range from 23—28 km/h (14.3—17.4 mph).
Transport during deceleration; power boost ramps down in equal steps in the range from 23—18 km/h (14.3—11.2 mph).

Power boost levels other than at rated rpm

Some operators will run the tractor at full loads and/or run transmissions in auto mode in transport. This means that the engine most likely will not be operating at rated rpm. As the engine is loaded, it will eventually drop off of rated rpm and use the "power bulge" as rpm slows. This is the way every John Deere PowerTech™ Plus engine operates when it is loaded to maximum power and torque.

Usable rpm range of operation - chart C

Intelligent Power Management will provide additional engine horsepower from rated engine speed down to approximately 1600 rpm, which is peak engine torque.

Horsepower levels are increased above base equipment "power bulge" values.

If the PTO is engaged and the engine rpm stays near rated speed of 2100 rpm, the full additional power potential for the tractor model will be available for use to handle additional load from the implement or changing terrain.

If the PTO is not in use and in transport operation, and the rpm has dropped off of rated speed, usable additional power boost of Intelligent Power Management will taper off as rpm decreases. In chart C, the (7930 Tractor power curves shown) relationship of how much additional usable horsepower is available in the operating range. All tractors operate in a similar manner with this feature.

Operator visibility and control of operation

Access power meter in CommandCenter

Power meter display on 8R Series

CommandCenter™/secondary unit display
All tractors have the power meter display function as base equipment. The operator can observe when full capabilities of the tractor are being utilized. This function graphically displays power utilization up to rated horsepower and power bulge.

On 8R Series Tractors, access to the power meter in the color CommandCenter™/secondary unit display can be done via scrolling through the many functions of using the command dial on the CSM, located on the newly developed right-hand armrest console or selecting the engine shortcut button.

Engine shortcut button

Command dial on the CSM

Power meter showing partial load on engine

If engine is off or has minimal load, power meter will not fill in. Meter is similar in concept to cellular phone signal strength meter. Like a cell phone, a stronger signal will change/fill in bars in an icon. With this display using tractor power, more power usage fills in the icon with black shading.

In this example, the red circle indicates where the icon indicates, showing that Intelligent Power Management has been installed and enabled. The "+" symbol is the indicator.

As shown previously, the power meter will show relative power being used below rated level. The display will also show the level of additional power being used. Shown in chart B, (A) on the long ramp represents up to the rated power. In the smaller section, (B) represents power bulge and an indicator of additional power available with Intelligent Power Management.

Power meter shows power usage - chart B

Utilization of the power meter by the operator will provide additional information on how effectively the tractor is being used in any application.

Primary unit display indicator of high power use

For quick indication of high power demand, there is an indicator on the primary unit display. When operating with Intelligent Power Management engaged, an engine icon with (+) symbol will illuminate, informing the operator that more than rated engine power is being used.

No other action is required of the operator unless there is excessive load that requires a gear or speed setting change in the transmission.

Designation can be a metric (kW) or English (hp) call-out on the display. The call-out will follow the CommandCenter™/secondary unit display units of measure setting.

The feature can be disabled easily if required

Via the CommandCenter™/secondary unit display, there is also the ability to enable or disable the function. The operator's manual provides simple detail about using the command dial (B) with the setting and return buttons (A and B) to enable and disable the function.

This is useful for demonstration purposes to prove the need for the feature or in applications where additional engine horsepower is not desired on a temporary basis.

Intelligent Power Management is automatically enabled each time the tractor is started.

Tractor compatibility with additional power

Intelligent Power Management has been thoroughly tested by John Deere engineers to be compatible with the base tractor equipment with no impact to reliability. John Deere provides Intelligent Power Management as opposed to unapproved aftermarket devices that boost power without regard to engine, transmission, axles, and drawbar, or hitch capability.

This feature provides optimal utilization of tractor components. For example, with PTO operation, power goes through axles to move the tractor along the ground and turn the PTO shaft and implement. Adding power to both of these systems does not overload either one individually. At transport speeds, drive train torque load decreases significantly from levels seen at low field speeds. Adding power at transport does not overload transmissions or axles.

Aftermarket devices are not selective when power increases are available. Great amounts of power increase are promised with these devices. Large power changes are not compatible with base tractor equipment. To note, base tractor equipment changes as power increases. Larger parts, like hitches, drawbars, tire size, drive train components, axle diameters, and engine calibrations for emission performance and cooling, ensure durability of the total vehicle as power increases. Operating outside of the design capabilities of the tractor base equipment will have an impact on durability and reliability.

Code Bundle Description
9253 Factory-installation code for 6030 Premium Series and 7030 Premium Series Tractors.

9063 Factory-installation code for 7030 Series Large-Frame and 8R Series Tractors

RE298885 Intelligent Power Management

Note: Compatible with all 8R Series Tractors.
RE257860 Intelligent Power Management

Note: Compatible with 7030 Series Large-Frame Tractors only.
RE265882 Intelligent Power Management

Note: Compatible with 8030 Series Tractors —feature available after 06 January 2007 on tractors that have serial number (010927-) or above.
AL180416 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle number AL180426 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 6230 Premium Tractor only.

AL180417 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle number AL180427 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 6330 Premium Tractor only.

AL180418 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle number AL180428 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 6430 Premium Tractor only.

AL180419 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle AL180429 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 7130 Premium Tractor only.

AL180420 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle AL180430 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 7230 Premium Tractor only.

AL180421 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle AL180431 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 7330 Premium Tractor only.

AL180422 Intelligent Power Management

Note:Must order software bundle AL180432 from PDC to complete CommandCenter activation.
Compatible with 7430 Premium Tractor only.

Last Updated : 25-Aug-2009

1 - 18 of 18 Posts