The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the guys using power rich fertilizer how long have you been using it and are you planning to continue using? Have you seen and positive or negative effects from it?
I used some this year on wheat and didn't really see any difference from my other dry fertilizer, but did like the lower use rate to limit the amount of product we had to use. Trying to decide if we should continue with the power rich or stay with the regular fertilizer .

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had used some for the previous 7 years. Started with bit of test on peas, than used it on hemp where thought it may have been best. First years it was always going on different land, but 2 years ago had it go on bit of wheat on land that it has been used on previously. Seemed that there were some things on that strip that made me question if it was a good thing. This will be first year that not buying any pre-new year. I think on any non-fertilizer sensitive crops it likely not worth the money. Always liked the quality of the product and it was nice to handle, but costs bit more important these days.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Used it for couple years, couldn’t get it wrapped around my head that 22-23 lbs of product was going to be satisfactory. Only used it on lentils and peas. Would never use it on cereals or canola.
To me at such a low rate the granules are so spread out from each other, the roots would have to grow a lot to find the next granule.
Needless to say i wouldn’t use it again, and it’s very pricey for what you are getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First time user this past season-
Always put down 80 to 95 lbs P
This year switched to powerich for the whole farm. (had a friend who has been using it for many years so I wasn't scarred to do it all once)
It went down in the 33 to 35 lb range (We added the max sulfur mix to it as well) 12 lbs i think
At the time it all penciled close enough to be worth a try. The added hassle of not moving so much product around for me at least was the biggest thing. The other tanks still ran out first but at least it saved a few hundred dicking around miles during seeding.
I would definitely use it again if the price would just come down it would be a better pill to swallow.
The pulses where only given a modest amount and with all weather considered- ran well to average.
The cereals where all over the map but the areas that went well did really well (small area albeit)
All the really dry areas ran avg and didn't seem to produce any issues during the season. Aside from no frigging rain.
The canola seemed to also do decent for very little moisture again. I have done previous sample strips in canola with varying phos levels and it definitely shows up if you dont have enough. That did not seem to be the issue- although shitty and sporadic germination on the dry spots certainly was.
I will grab some soil samples and see what we are looking at but I will be booking more than likely for next year.
Just my rambling $.02 .. It would be a solid idea to do some testing but this year wasn't it for us.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of having to handle less product but not sure if I will start to see some low phosphate levels down the road.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have been using it for about 7 years now. I have seen good yields compaired to my neighbours and my protein levels in my wheat are higher than theirs. I run 15lbs on peas 25lbs on wheat and 35 on canola. I run extra sulfur on the canola also. This fall I soil tested all my acres so ill see what they say when I get them back.

·
Registered
461 Posts
it all depends on your soil, long term management etc..... I used to do soil testing for one guy that used it and soil test numbers held up well on some fields and cratered to lower than I have ever seen on others. because ammonium phosphate ties up in the soil and then slowly dribbles out over the years you will not see the true effects of removal until several years later on down the road as you mine out the soil, and the first couple years will yield as good as before.

most of us are not adequately replacing removal with the 1152 rates we are using as it is and that stuff accelerates loss / removal by 3x!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts