The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some input or experience from anyone that has used the advanced powercast taolboard on a S series combine. We have run the powercast since '09 and have been impressed with them. Any input is greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,272 Posts
Someone here post that?

In the last month someone posted a straw spread comparison between a Deere and a Claas vid but I can't find it. :confused:
I think it was from Aus.
Whatever the Deere was running sure looked even.:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Advanced Powercast does an awesome job of spreading in every condition over the last three years. Does not leave two windrows on the sides in tougher conditions, like the regular powercast.
However, last year the machines took a serious step back in reliablity of the advanced tailboard. Broken cast piece on hyd motor, where fitting connects. The other hyd motor shot a bolt like a bullet, up into the large stainless cover. Three o-rings blew at different times on the bottom of the hyd block in the spreader. Also get shroud codes coming up from time to time. This is because the gear pressed onto the electric motor shaft strips the spline easily. This gear needs to be mounted with a keyway.
Oil leaks were getting to the point that we were going to put a camera on the hydraulic tank. Only indication of lower hyd level is when it is out of oil. Codes then say "low hydrostatic transmission pressure". No S... Sherlock! Had to always do a walk around looking for oil leaks before we dared to take them on the road. Would be dangerous if it decided to "bleed out" on the hi-way.
After 17 pails of hyd oil, they ran fine the last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Also had o-ring leaks on feeder house hyd block.(O-rings on solenoids) And we had both 635D headers puke out all the machine oil, because of o-ring leaks on the left side hyd block of the header (O-rings on solenoids). Roller bearings on 635D headers as well.( China made) Also hear stories of the rear beater shaft breaking on machines with the advanced powercast tailboard. Anyone know more on that? SN breaks? Price goes up every year, quailty of parts goes down. Looking into other offers on all major pieces at the moment. 7

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
What is interesting is the basic MAV on the Claas seems to spread the farthest in my experience. Two years ago we had a MAV and a turbo chop in the same HRSW field and the MAV was throwing it further. The turbo chop was doing a better job of chopping the straw though. I think the finer the straw is chopped the harder it is to spread wide. The pro chop would chop the straw even finer. I will take finer over further.

In the video in barley the pro chop was probably turning the straw to dust. It must be hard to throw dust far. So in my delusional world the Claas has a better chopper!

·
Registered
294 Posts
It seems I've heard a number of people had oil leaks from o-rings at the spreader control block....something was going on with bad parts or manufacturing....
There is a PIP for the flow control block and draww8, its recommended to make an address change so the oil flow doesn't surge at the motors and break the casting where the fittings thread in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We had the powercast tailboard for the first time on a s680.. in any tough or heavy crop (wheat and oats) I found that it just windrow straw to the outsides, didn't matter if we removed or added deflector plates. I feel that they are a overpriced option.. my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.