The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our 4640 and J&M 540SD wagon, no we don't haul in like that we just needed to get stuff organized in the backyard where all the machinery sits.

Our Brent 544 w/tarp and fenders, and our 31' head hauler.

our '84 Ford F800 graintruck...yes, i still have to paint the bottom rail.

Our new (to us) 893 Cornhead, automatic header height, completely rebuilt.

Our new to us '01 9650sts, low hour machine. And the tires a 73x44's.

Finally, despite my comments in the other farming thread...teh GPS.

Platform+Ripper will be delivered tomorrow.

Fall is around the corner (about 1-1.5weeks away) so there will be alot of updates coming very soon.

Dave

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Looks like a nice line-up Dave. Hey I see that ripper was for sale in this weeks paper!

Our 500 should be comming next week then all we have to do is pick up an ez-steer. I guess they don't make auto pilot kits for "old" tractors.

The super singles make the combine look cool but I'll bet it would not be an easy tire to find if you had to.

-Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
indeed, goes alot faster down the road too
hit 22.8mph goin down the overpass lol. There's alot of buttons on it and my dad was all confused at first, but he's getting the hang of it. All we're really confused about now is the PF-3000 yield monitor it came with...book is less than helpful...guess we'll see if its halfway accurate t within =/- 5 bushels.

We're still up in air about ez-steer, we just dont like the idea of sitting there with your thumb up your *ss all day.

Tires are a big plus since its not PRWD, the dealership we've bought stuff from for over 40years now said he wished he could convince everyone to run that tire because they float so well in wet conditions. Their not hard to find, but you wish they would be at $5000/each new :eek:

I'll try to get some more pics later this week when i get everything polished/painted/etc.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, you guys have a little more interesting terrain...we don't really need compensation when the ground is as flat as can be except for a couple of dips where the buffalo supposedly gathered back before my time.

I'll let ya know how it goes, i'll probably look at the screen more-so than the lights. When we talked to our Precision dealer, he said it's like getting a bigger implement for the first couple of days/hours your always going to be looking backwards at it until you get the feel of it, and i imagine he's probably right about it.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
Nice looking gear. I hope that combine works out for you. Everyone seems to give the 50 series a bad rap, but I know of a couple 9650 walkers that cut several thousand acres every year and are still going. I'm not a big fan of those tires, but we don't need the flotation. More power to you.

About that EZ-Steer, I don't know why everyone says it reduces fatigue. I'm just as tired after a day of babysitting the tractor as I am if steered it myself. You still have to pay attention to everything and watch to make sure it isn't overlapping too much or leaving a skip. Once you get it set up right it's nice, though. It really helps in dry, dusty conditions where it's hard to see where your previous pass was. Plus, the fields where I used it to plant look really professional. Seriously, once you have some sort of auto-steer system you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Oh, I've tried driving following the lightbar alone and didn't like it. Maybe some people can do it, but I found it much more stressful than using the planter markers or some other traditional means of staying on the straight-and-narrow.

· Registered
1,636 Posts
That road speed is pretty much standard. It's amazing how fast they go. If I leave ahead of dad in the 4840 he can easily catch up to me.

I put the ez 500 on our Kubota RTV and needless to say there is no way I can follow the lights, or the screen. The screen updates a little to slow to guide and it seems like I either oversteer or just can't get on the line. I really could not see looking at it all day.

But I really like the lightbar, very easy to use even in advanced mode. What do you think of it so far?

-Dave

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well besides mapping our yard with it on our Gator, i haven't done much with it lol. I don't think it'll be too awful bad to do manually, especially with fall tillage where if you can save 45minutes a field it'd be worth it.

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Hi Ebert, sharp looking equipment. Just sold my 4640, over 9000hrs, great tractor. I like you am new to the sts, jumping from the 20 series. Just wanted to say we installed the 500 with the ez steer this spring on a cat challenger, worked excellent once I got it set right. I had been using outback for guidance just for spraying, very easy to follow the lights, but the 500 is much more difficult to follow.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today being sunday the elevator is on half hours Noon-6pm, so i went out and played with the ripper today and the ez-steer. I found it really really easy to follow the 500's guidance, but i've always been able to hold a decent line without guidance, mainly it's just to help me at night on our over 1 mile rows.

Gonna be a SLOW ripping season, we havent actually ripped since we sold our old M&W 1460, been using a disc chisel...holy cow, i can't believe notill in the heavy dirt here can work its so compact on our endrows and certain sections of the field that i can barely get 1.5mph and still move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.