The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To save time wading through pages of literature, what are the main differences between an STS with / without the bullet rotor (apart from the rotor itself obviously). TIA

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
apart from the rotor... nothing much. to be honest i think the capacity increases or whatever (in conditions i have been in) were minimal at best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wrong...we had a pre bullet rotor JD, didnt have any trouble with it at all... we bought a bullet rotor machine and it was a piece of rubbish.. there was something wrong with the allignment on the rotor and it would always catch fire somewhere around the rotor the technicians had to come and pull it apart to find the problem, it hadnt been built properly which had resulted in metal rubbing on metal. which was causing it to get hot between the rotor and where it sits at the front of the machine. the image shows where it had been burning. at the same time another contractor bought a machine and in the first season it shook the sheive box apart. it seems that the reliable quality of a john deere has been lost. both machines have been traded in and replaced with older john deeres that are built like a tank. this photo shows

·
Registered
400 Posts
the bullet rotor was introduced in 06. along with the rotor, the 06 and newer have the 9.0L motor, also have the radiator air scoop. The body of the machine was a little longer.
also, 06 introduced the hi-torque reverser

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Quote:wrong...we had a pre bullet rotor JD, didnt have any trouble with it at all... we bought a bullet rotor machine and it was a piece of rubbish..

My 9660 bullet has only had very minor troubles and I know of several that are have had the same run as I have. I also had a lot to do with the pre-bullets 60's and didn't see any quality control issues after the bullet was released that you are implying... No-one I know has had the problems you did, but it looks like you pretty much answered you're own question with...

Quote: it hadnt been built properly which had resulted in metal rubbing on metal. which was causing it to get hot between the rotor and where it sits at the front of the machine.

sounds like that one of yours got put together on a friday arvo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well why not farmerjones? The way you seem to have problems with "your" case ih 7010 that no one else has, you seem to think that all those are built the same. The more posts of yours I read the less believeable you are.

·
Registered
289 Posts
[quote author=sdownie92 board=JD thread=20518 post=162247 time=1266551658]wrong...we had a pre bullet rotor JD, didnt have any trouble with it at all... we bought a bullet rotor machine and it was a piece of rubbish.. there was something wrong with the allignment on the rotor and it would always catch fire somewhere around the rotor the technicians had to come and pull it apart to find the problem, it hadnt been built properly which had resulted in metal rubbing on metal. which was causing it to get hot between the rotor and where it sits at the front of the machine. the image shows where it had been burning. at the same time another contractor bought a machine and in the first season it shook the sheive box apart. it seems that the reliable quality of a john deere has been lost. both machines have been traded in and replaced with older john deeres that are built like a tank. this photo shows

I am agreeing with everyone else that is saying you can't base your judgment of all the Bullet Rotors off of the one you had. Every company has there problems.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You know the most interesting thing i find tas123, you're listed as being 17.... The first 60 series I was around was in 2004, making you about 11 at the time. You must be a very able kid

·
Registered
48 Posts
no experience with the pre bullet rotor but our 9560 bullet rotor ended up pulling the bolts holding up the back grate right through the frame on the left hand side. No fix for this except welding in a new chunk to the frame or as we did just plate over the frame. jd said it must have been a wad of cornstalks. also happened to a neighbour

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bundy. Do you know if there were any differences in the feeder accelerator, cone or concaves; or was it just the rotor?
TIA

The reason I ask is we have one in the yard and I just want to know the differences - if any.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The feed accelerator is the same, concaves look exactly the same though i have never put an older one in a new machine if that makes any sense. Sieves, elevators, blah blah never changed. The bullet machines did have a re-designed air scoop which kept the engine bay and rad a lot cleaner, they also had a the 9 liter engine whereas the one you have has an 8.1. IMO the 8.1 is actually better on fuel. Apart from that, the same combine virtually.

Out of interest, how many hours on it and what have they got it listed at? Is it a 96, 97 or 98?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
60/70 series concaves will fit a 50 series combine, but a 50 series concave will not fit the newer machines. Everything else should be the same, they did update a few of the belts and made them 3 groove vs. 2 in some cases nothing major however I don't believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll call BS on that. Was told same thing by dealer. All you need is the 50 series wedge kit to go to 60 series (don't know on 70's).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
yeah guys caseihaxialflow is talking about a 2004 or early 2005 model 60 series, just before the "bullet rotor" update was released.... not a 50

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bundy, it's an '04 9660, 1150 rotor hours, with 30' 630 front - quite tidy - $231,000 incl. GST
Thanks for the info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts