The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I demoed one of these two years ago and liked the crop we had with it, but did not buy one. I have been looking at one again and can get a good price on unused carryover. How many guys are still running one and liking the drill? Any problems after they get some acres? What opener does everyone like. We ran the factory opener and liked it after it stopped plugging. Moved a lot of soil but did not affect the stand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where are you located? We run a couple drills and have one of these units (P2070 with 10 ich spacing - 2010 model). We are generally pleased with the unit. They are more maintenance than a gang drill. You blow a hydraulic hose you lose a lot of expensive hydraulic oil. I looked at a Seedhawk and would not trade ours for one period. Openers - you need to stay as narrow as you can - if you have too aggressive of opener it is tough to keep the depth control even. We ran a new dutch boot last spring and will do so again this year. We really liked the original opener until you need to replace them - $$$. PM me if you want more information.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
We switched fr seedhawk, fc5000, and really are happy with them. You can kill the tractor in hard ground because they defenatly stay in the ground. 25000 acres so far and only changed the tips. Went to bourgault opener this time and they seem better then cih just because they a bit shorter and don't hit the packer tire when lifting, thus means less plugging of runs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'm in North Dakota. We did try a bourgault opener when demo and did not like that it would not change depth like the factory opener. It had a wing on it and would plane out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We ran one for three years nd it worked ok had to go slow or to much dirt moving covering the seed rows. Depth setting takes quite awhile have to loosen a 3/8bolt on each shank. Quite a few flats of packers. Openers plugged often in wet conditions. Not much room under it when messing with openers. Traded it in on a seed hawk 12 spacing twin wing design 800 bus tank.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
I ran one of these units for 3 years and if I hadn't gone to a one-pass system I wouldn't have got rid of it. Lighter than a BG for wet conditions and followed the ground excellent. I tried several openers and found the 1" worked the best for accuracy over the 3/4" and certainly over anything with a wing. Changing depth is a total pain and why they haven't changed that yet is beyond me.:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
can the bolts for depth control not be replaced with some pins with detented ball?
I am not going to say no......but.....no.:( The holes are actually a slot with notches where the increments are. Some of my openers would actually move from hole to hole without totally removing the bolt, some were tighter. This is not saying that something couldn't be manufactured to replace the whole setup, it would be the first thing I would do if I was in charge there. I will say that I never did, in 3 years, have a bolt come loose.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The wing back design of these drills is really cool. The transport width of any width of drill would never be any wider or taller than they are now. I wonder, no dream of how big they could make this drill (100 feet? 120 feet? 140 feet?). I imagine that the only limit would be the air distribution for getting product out that far.

What I'd do if I had more money than I could spend, a torch and a welder? Buy two and make one, TBT(NH3) and TBH(DRY) carts.

Guess you wouldn't want to buy all that gear and cut it up until you figured the air distribution system. Booster fan anyone?

·
Registered
349 Posts
We purchased a 2070 a few years ago it has around 20,000 acres on it now. We really have not had much for issues with it, wiring harness moved and got sheared when we folded back the wings, a few sensors. However we need to put some money into it now, lots of bushings on the shanks are worn and need replaced. Tips are needing replaced. Seem to be getting more packer tires going flat now. Went from one a year to one a day now. Does a really nice job when conditions are good, does not go through heavy trash very well. We still have the nh tips and they do plug more often then they probably should, sounds like other tips that you can get are a lot better. That's all I can think of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.