The Combine Forum banner

Premiere swathers

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  meskie 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the point of the cab forward/cab backwards is on the premier macdon swathers

#2 ·
Faster roading speed. The machines are way more stable when going fast backwards for some reason. Could just be that the nose of the machine gives you a better frame of reference for steering safely at higher speeds. Of course you don't want to drive backwards with a header greater than 25' attached. Their idea is that you pull the header with its slow-speed transport wheels with the swather, using a weight box with a hitch on it, attached to the arms.

With a hay header attached, just turn the seat around and go for it. 20 mph or so. Much faster than most other swathers go in forward direction.

#5 ·
Yes it goes fine with a 35' header but I would not recommend doing it, as something that wide behind you could easily lead to disaster, power poles, fences, signs, cars, etc. With a narrower header I wouldn't worry so much about it.

That said, given the hazards on our roads, we almost never drive it backwards with the header on (25'). We almost always just go forwards, albeit a bit at reduced speed, because I can clearly see the obstacles and where the edge of my header is. Though it takes some getting used to the distortion from the curved glass. I understand the newer models have corrected the window issue.

#6 · (Edited)
It's for braking, if you stop quickly driving forward, you do a face plant, where as driving backwards with speed, you're all good. That is the only way they were allowed to increase speed legally.

No worries driving with 35ft on backwards, if you can't judge distances by simply turning your head to the side, you're not much of a farmer. It's not like the header is way behind you, it's just a little over 90 deg, just an easy glance to the side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.