The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone ever have issues with prepass turning barley leaves yellow. I applied it two days before seeding and now barley came up awesome but after 2 weeks of it up some leaves are turning yellow and dying off. Call Dow and they said they never heard of that before they said wait for couple weeks and see what's happens.

·
Registered
264 Posts
At least your crop came up -- could be worse. Hopefully the plants will grow through the problems you describe.

This Conclude herbicide has the same chemical as prepass -- Florasulam.
Conclude
Notes from article:
-- heavy rain can flush it into the rootzone and cause crop damage
-- high soil pH makes the chemical more active.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So rep came out today and told me it's maybe a fertility issue but went to a cousins field where he didn't spray prepass on his barley. And his barley looks awesome shows rep this and she said maybe I should spray in the fall instead of spring so does that tell me that prepass hurt my barley and they don't want to say. They also took plants to the gov of sask lab to get tested so I guess we will see what happens. Was thinking of spraying omex C3 on it to maybe bring it back to life what's everyone think about that

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What kind of soil do you have? If it's sandy, rain might have a lot to do with it. If clay, it seems to be too strong and burns barley. I've heard this before and won't use ahead of barley in spring either anymore. Great product though for wheat and fall applications on my soil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tried pre-pass for the first time on canola stubble seeded to duram. There was a gross amount of volunteers growing along with the usual other weeds like buck wheat.
Crop is doing nicely and is still extremely clean.
This is on heavy regina plains type of soil.
Anyone try lentils the first year (next spring)following pre-pass I know the label says no but still curious

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Has anybody tried prepass with their round up when they preharvest their wheat? Or are you guys just using it postharvest?

·
Registered
803 Posts
What kind of soil do you have? If it's sandy, rain might have a lot to do with it. If clay, it seems to be too strong and burns barley. I've heard this before and won't use ahead of barley in spring either anymore. Great product though for wheat and fall applications on my soil.
When you fall apply on canola stubble does it help much to reduce volunteers the following spring?

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Yes. But read the label. Have put on after oct 1 or else you will loose some active if its warm. It doesn't stop seedlings from coming out but as soon as they try to grow a leaf they die off. 21 days flushing control.
So are you still finding that you have to do a burn off in the spring before seeding? If so are you just going in with round up by itself?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was checking our barley tonight that was burnt off with Prepass. The field was on the wetter side when seeded and have been quite wet since. Wherever the tractor and went you can distinctly see yellow strips. It even carries on to where you turn on the ends. I can understand compaction with the cart (tbh) but to me it's strange the barley yellowed and stunted in the tractor tracks as well. Its seeded side by side on the same half section with oats that also was sprayed with Prepass. The oats looks fine other than where the cart went and it is somewhat behind. Calling the rep tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
So are you still finding that you have to do a burn off in the spring before seeding? If so are you just going in with round up by itself?
Yes and no. If we're seeding wheat a lot of years nothing is really growing yet so we don't preburn (seeding it first). Sometimes we might but yes. However I rarely spray glyphosate by itself. In spring on cereal acres I usually add 24D, MCPA or bromoxynil depending on situation. Prepass in fall won't control annuals like cleavers or wild buckwheat which is why we're still doing a burndown, but like I said we're usually out there a lot of times where its too early to see that kind of stuff. I like using it in fall because its very good on thistles as well plus your get the residual control of the canola which is really the best thing going for it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Not real easy to see but here is a good view of how It doesn't like barley when you get lots of rain on clay type soil. This is one of our most clay type we farm. Barley seeded on left and center where yellow, HRSW on right where green. This was on a line where I moved over with more barley this year to combine fields next year. The prepass was applied in fall. So as you can see its fine on the wheat side and yellowish on the barley side. Rest of barley field had heat sprayed in spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.