The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the market for a portable hot water, gas driven, oil fired pressure washer. I know it has been discussed on here before, and through my search I've found that Hotsy has a great reputation, with Karcher, Landa and Aladin having good feedback. Priced out a Hotsy and it's gonna be $6300 for one with 3.5gpm. Did some research online and there are a couple other manufacturers with similar specs but for $2000 less. Now you probably get what you pay for, but I just don't think I'll be using it all that much, but want one that does a good job and is reliable when I do need it. Basically it will be washing off equipment and vehicles with grease, diesel, oil and mud. It might see 25-40hrs of use per year. Does anybody have any experience with PowerJet, Easy Klean, Dynablast, John Deere's, or New Hollands? These are the mfg's I found within reasonable driving distance. Any advice or experience with other manufacturers? Thanks.

·
Registered
977 Posts
We have used the Hotsy and Karcher with good results , can not speak for the others you listed..
I would choose the Hotsy over the Karcher if priced the same.
I would also choose LPG as your heat source over diesel if it can work for you.
We found that most of the maintainance expense went into the fuel injector for the heat. We have had very little issues with the LPG fired washers.
WE run our washers approx 5 - 20 hrs / week depending which barn they are in.
We have 2 washers in our shop , #1 is 3.8 GPM @ 4000PSI which is used mostly for degeasing etc
# 2 is 7.5 GPM @ 2500 PSI which is used mostly for washing of trailers and equipment .

Mark

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
we have a landa there sold buy dionco sales in yorkton fantastic warantie i think its like 5 years we had ares two years now the only thing that was a problem was the lance took it back and changed no qestions asked really impressed with it never had fuel issues with is as long as you put clean fuel in its fine i talked to a trucking company before i brought mine theres had 2000 hour on it and 10 years old so my vote is theres we have had karcher and had lots of problems

·
Registered
766 Posts
Another vote for Hotsy. We bought a used/reconditioned one from the dealer a few years ago for $1800 and have no problems. When the heat quits we pour in more diesel and it fires right back up! We probably use it 75 to 100 hrs a year.

·
0 Posts
we got a hotsy expensive to fix, we had better luck with a karcher.
but parts are easy to get for hotsy and its farm build, if we had to buy a new one again it be a karcher.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a easykleen piece of **** from ritchie bros auction. It was new but you get no warranty.They were selling them with defective boilers and the easykleen company knew it. They said run it until it burns the metal out of it. Everytime we go to use it something else is wrong.Biggest lemon I ever bought.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I v been using my Easy Kleen from Ritchie's auction for a few years now and I have done nothing to it other than add gas and diesel. We use it easy 25 hours a week. Way better than a Hotsy and Easy Kleen parts are way less money than Hotsy. I priced parts when I was shopping to buy the Easy Kleen and found out Hotsy machines are built to their specs, only their parts fit the pumps and motors, etc. Only thing I didn't think was ok when I got my Easy Kleen was some of the fittings leaked and were only loose.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
also bought the easy clean from ritchies and found all fittings loose and needed some tlc, but i gotta say that thing works real well once you fix them up, i have ran threw 20 tanks of fuel threw that thing and it is turned up as high pressure as it goes, with water as hot as it can be, somewhat happy with it for the 1700 dollars i paid, buddy has the hosty and i would not trade him for it from what i seen so far...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up going with the PowerJet Comm Platinum. Haven't used it much yet but like it so far. I really like the accessories I got with it and would recommend them to anybody regardless of what brand you go with. I got a short 3ft wand and long 6ft wand which is really good for reaching tall equipment, grain trailers, semi's, etc. Also got a 100ft of hose and a hose real; both of which I think are must haves. Compared to all the other manufacturers I looked at (Hotsy, Karcher, Dynablast, Deere's) with the same accessories the PowerJet was about $1500-2000 less. If it stands up it will be a good buy. If it doesn't I'll try and learn from my experience and not try to save a buck with a lesser known company. Time will tell I guess. I think they are worth looking at if you're in the market for one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Few thing for new buyers
Hot water for grease , oil
Volume for cleaning dirt , would not buy anything less then 5ga / min
Pressure on equipment is nice but careful on bearings and paint .
Make sure it’s automatically turn off the pump if not pulling the trigger .

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
We are on our second karcher while still owning the first . The second has 3500 psi while the first is 1500 . The higher pressure will clean more grease bot road mud still needs to be brushed . The only thing to look out for is if the unit has stainless steel in the coils as we had to replace the coil twice on the older unit due to it rusting out . Haven't had any issues with the new one yet and it is two years old . they get used pretty well every week and a lot pre harvest . Hot water the only way to go .

·
Registered
82 Posts
just purchased a hotsy. set it in a pickup box trailer with a roundup shuttle for water supply. love it. also got a one year 0 interest and payments, then monthly for 5 yrs. spendy, but have used the crap out of it already

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
After my gas powered low volume/high pressure one cratered early this spring, rolled the dice at a sale and brought home the second biggest Hotsy portable, 795SS, was a trucking outfit that went bust, was a tag on it still from having work done on the boiler and coil, best $600 bucks I have spent in a while. 2K psi and 3.5 gal, even just with cold water works great.
You just can't beat an electric powered machine for in the yard IMO. So nice to no longer have that stupid Honda rattling in my ears constantly anymore lol. Does need a good 220 volt power supply. Gave it residence in the pump house.

One thing I found out while looking into getting a different one before I picked up that used Hotsy, is you want a belt driven machine, pump runs slower and you don't feed vibration thru the pump as you do with direct drive, they simply last longer. But yea, they are more expensive in the beginning. Also really only about three manufacturers of quality pumps, including Hotsy's pump, seems the best ones are made in Italy, in both belt and direct drive.
Also something I hadn't known previous this spring, Karcher owns Hotsy now...

And volume is way more important than pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Advertiser got a thread going again from 2012? Good job. Even with no links or anything to what they want to sell?

I'll throw in my experience anyway.

I have a northern tool hot water washer. It has been good. On my second hose and second wand. Both replaced this year. Had a few switch problems. Parts seem generic and easy to find cheaper than from northern tool. Also available from them. The tires are junk. All mine are rotten and should get a new set of solid tires for it. It is about 8 years old now.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200324565_200324565 basicly the one in the link,hope the link works. Looked it up and paid $3500 back then, guessing with shipping. Link does not work for me. Item# 157310

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Spoken like a true salesman. Why try to fancy up a way of saying your washer blows the $hit off of everything? We're all farmers, say it like it is. For example;

Got $hit on your tractor? Get our washer, it's blows the $hit off of everything!

SOLD!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts