The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you guys! Curious as to what a quarter of land is worth in different parts of the country. Here in northern Alberta there was a big sale with 31 quarters for sale. First bid went up to $480,000 per quarter. Following bids were $410,000/$365,000/$310,000. The sale really lifted the price of land around here. 2 quarters were sold after sale for $350,000. Anyway curious as to what the price of land is where your at!

·
Registered
931 Posts
The most I paid a not many years ago was 48,000 and was offered 6 quarters at 60,000 each and didn't take them because I had my hands full doing what I had I should of took them dropped the rented land or just rented out what I couldn't handle till my son got old enough. Now its in the 200,000 dollar range.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
Grandpa bought land for 9000 per 1/4 parents bought for 25000 to 80000 per 1/4 and I bought at 400000 now there is land here 3000+ per acre. 80000 twenty years ago lookin pretty cheap now:D
Indeed!:eek:
Dad bought land in '73, it's up, let's see here, X that, carry this, 3461%!:eek:
Cost of living increase in same period?
Don't know, but I'll bet it's less than 3461%.;)

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Whats the average rent price for guys? Land here sells for $10-11k/acre, rents $300-500. 150 acres up for auction on July 10 6 miles from me, 83 CSR, average to above average ground. Expecting price to be a bit lower since commodities have soften up considerably from the highs, guess will know more sale day.

·
Registered
685 Posts
We live in a relatively cheap area in Ontario, 2 years ago it was less than 2000$/ac. Couple of dairy farms and a few other pieces sold this spring and now everyone wants 4500$+ an acre. Makes it hard for a young guy to try and put some roots down.

How many acres in a quarter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just bought 2500 acres this spring in south central sask. Assessment ranged from 85000 to 107000 and included 100000 bus steel grain storage as well as metal buildings for machinery storage. Price was 1200/acre which is more than we've ever had to pay but is more viable than a lot of areas of western Canada. Our last purchase prior to this was 400/acre about 5 years ago for very similar land. I guess those days are far behind us.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just pulled up the last cash prices from one of our local elevators.
Jan. RS. $5.37
Nov. AD $6.40
Oct. Canola $9.68

None of this pencil's out even with a bumper crop. Unless I'm using the wrong pencil.

$2400/acre dryland here and 1 million per quarter irrigation. Just plain stupid.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just pulled up the last cash prices from one of our local elevators.
Jan. RS. $5.37
Nov. AD $6.40
Oct. Canola $9.68

None of this pencil's out even with a bumper crop. Unless I'm using the wrong pencil.

$2400/acre dryland here and 1 million per quarter irrigation. Just plain stupid.
I think I've got the wrong pencil too. I could barely make the 2000$/ac work using corn and soy crop just paying for the land, not to mention living, upgrading equip. if need be etc.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Land does not have to pencil out on it's own right now because there are enough larger farms with access to easy credit right now.

When interest rates go up and borrowing isn't so easy it will be linked closer to actual ROI. There will probably be a fair bit more available then too...;)

Everyone should be telling their FCC reps that they need to collect hard when this happens.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.