The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started farming on my own 9 years ago. I was lucky enough to buy out a farmer I was working for. The equipment I purchased from him wasn't totally worn out but I have been slowly updating as I can. Right now I could really use a newer combine. I currently run a CIH 2188 and a 1470. I have been looking at newer machines and the prices scare the crap out of me. I really want to go to one machine but I am not sure but at $200,000 to $300,000 it just might not happen. Even wore out 2388 combines are $150,000 to $195,000. It doesn't help that I am a small farmer (1900 acres) How do others get over the sticker shock of new/used equipment?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
You need to do a road trip to the Midwest. $50-75k gets you a late model 2388 with low hours. $175-200k you're looking at 6088 or 7088. Trucking is cheap when you save 100 grand!

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you do buy a combine from the Midwest with the intention of putting a leveler on it call Hillco first because there are certain options that will save you money. There are several used 2388's on St. John's lot that are level land that have been there for a long time. I asked them why they don't put a leveler on so they can sell them easier and they said they aren't set up right. I know the big thing is the tire size and feeder house configuration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.