The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an older tr70, with the turbo ford engine that is used with our tr95 during combining season. The 95 can run circles around the 70, but my young son likes to use it and help out. Problem is that the 70 does'nt want to chop straw. Defection plates way been adjusted in all positions, new chopper belts have been installed, every thing checks out...but still not chopping straw. When you look at the swaths that the 70 had done it has balls of straw left behind it. We took the triangle inspection plates off the rear sides of the combine and watched the straw coming out, most of it seems to fall short of the chopper. Up hills it does better, but downhill you have to be careful as we have plugged it solid. By that I mean the whole rear is plugged right up to the back of the rotors. Any ideas of what the problem might be or if anyone else is having this problem. The 95, even though she's old iron, can and will give the new combines a run for the money, 30 foot straight cut no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Is the beater running up to speed? What about the beater grate adjustment and the plate adjustment behind the beater to get the straw to go up and over the sieves? Sounds like the problem isn't the chopper but the beater if its falling short.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beater is running up to speed and have played with the deflection plate in all positions, same problem...seems to fall short of the chopper. Somebody said that the shaft may be spinning inside the discharge beater....(broken bolts) sounds reasonable will have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I think there is a bolt on the left side of the beater (if i remember the diagram from our book right. The newer TRs had a splined shaft so it must have been an issue. The shaft still would turn at the right speed (which is where a sensor would be on) but the beater is what matters.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
dwillowguy, beater should run 803 rpm, shaft has two woodruff keys in shaft that go into beater on each side, beater is retained by two set screws and jam nuts, if you look at beater you will se these set screws in the inside of beater on its outer edges, scott.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Does you machine have the roller in front of the chopper? If so make sure the belt is crossed so it turns backwards to the rest of the combine. Its job is to feed the chopper in case the straw doesent quite make it from the beater.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, once weather warms up I'll check the keys and set screws. It has to be something simple like that. She's still a good old combine just turned 1600 hours and my 9 year old son wants to run it this harvest.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Filler plates are sheet metal bolted on top of the beater grate to smoothe the crop flow and e;iminate crop from falling through onto the sieves. All small grain machines should have them installed to work properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts