The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering if anyone had problems keeping the sieves clean in canola.....Both my 850's plug up with pods in canola. I've got the wind cranked up and even replaced the belt for the fanning mill. But no change?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Only time we had trouble with our 760 was going all night when it's frosty. Or doing freshly swathed barley with a lot of green grass in it.

I'm guessing you're not dealing with either one though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks...I run it slow speed cylinder 660 rpm n front wide open back set to 1/8 Threshes clean But just worried that it may throw a little out the back once the sieves plug.....but we shall try it again soon n see. Might have just been the year cause it never has done this before.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Everybody will tell you to run your concave wide open in canola because you can, and the conventional wisdom is that you can gain a little capacity. After almost 30 years of growing canola I've quit doing that for a couple reasons. I run the concave a little more than half open (conventional cylinder in a John Deere but same principal) so that it breaks up the pods better, and so the cylinder plugs first instead of the beater. You'll only unplug the beater on a 9500 once to know you never want to do it again. The word chainsaw comes to mind, and not in a good way.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Everybody will tell you to run your concave wide open in canola because you can, and the conventional wisdom is that you can gain a little capacity. After almost 30 years of growing canola I've quit doing that for a couple reasons. I run the concave a little more than half open (conventional cylinder in a John Deere but same principal) so that it breaks up the pods better, and so the cylinder plugs first instead of the beater. You'll only unplug the beater on a 9500 once to know you never want to do it again. The word chainsaw comes to mind, and not in a good way.
:( this brings up some bad memories with pea straw... Yuck

·
Registered
370 Posts
it seems to me that we always used less wind with canola, but we did direct it at the very front so as to loft the light ends early and keep them floating, often we would even block off half of the fan inlet with homemade restrictors,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts