The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery on a new 8230, dealer brought it to the field Monday morning, they spent Monday-Wednesday trying to set it without any luck? They are a great dealer, and own other new pieces of case equipment, and I'm very satisfied. However, I am in a partnership with another farmer that runs new green. They have a new 670, that ran flawlessly those three days while the case was having the problems. I have at risk losing a partnership that totals 6,000 acres, because my partner and landlords insist both machines perform on the same level. Which I agree, because a down machine costs money, and harvest loss costs money. On the other hand, I have a supportive dealer, I felt three days were sufficient, so I asked to call it a demo, a refund. They told me caseih will more than likely not allow that, and the dealer could not afford that. I want to continue to work with this dealer. But I cannot afford to lose my partner and the acreage? Help?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Need more info. What crop, conditions (straw amount, bushels, weather)?
Combine setup concaves, sieve and sieve settings( including pre sieve, fan speed and rotor speed tried, rotor ( AFX standard or small tube)?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
11-13% moisture, 76-96 degrees, afx, three wire and one round concave, and all the other settings I could not tell you. The dealer sent out two individuals to set it, and made many changes. I like my dealer and the machine, so how long should it take to get it set? I do not want to risk the partnership, and losing the land? I forgot to mention the first day, it also blew a hydraulic hose that shut the combine down from 5:30-9:00. Then the next morning, 20 minutes into harvest, it burned up all the oil soaked belts. The dealer got it running in under 4 hours, but when we moved to the next field, the header wouldn't feed. It all kept piling up in the middle. The dealer got that solved by 7:30 that night. The next day we took it out to test, and that's when we noticed significant header loss.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The partnership is pro john deere, but they felt, and I agree, that after three days the caseih 8230 should perform as we'll or better than a deere s670? Again I have other caseih equipment that is as good as it gets in my book, but this just seems to be a lemon? Ironically two years ago they brought a 7230 to demo, and after 5 days of one broken hydraulic hose, and not getting the crop loss and combine performance nailed down, the demo was over.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even though they are pro deere, they really like my quad track magnum, and air seeder. So they were open to try it, but like me, not confident it will be right, and concerned it will happen all over again on beans?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
flinthills you haven't said what crop you're harvesting. You mentioned a moisture percent but is that corn, wheat, soybeans? Also which header are you talking about? Without knowing the settings you've already tried, it's hard to suggest changes.

What hoses broke? I've never heard of new machines breaking hydraulic hoses before. I had an 8120 that blew the main return line, and that turned out to be a piece of metal from the filter body that travelled up the hose and plugged the port just before it goes into the tank. Was lucky it couldn't fit into the pump!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I am in dry land corn yielding 200 bushel. It is a new 4000 series 12 row caseih header. I couldn't tell you exactly which hose it was, by the time they had it pinpointed, I was in another machine. Under the left shield is one **** of a mess. That happened on its first day out. I want to be fair to my dealer and case, that's is why I am here. How long is fair? Do I give them another day? Week? They already had three.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer said they tried all the settings in the book, and all the settings a 30 year veteran with the dealer knew of. At 7:30 the second night, when we parked the machine, the crop loss was minimal. I asked them to make me a deal, either guarantee it will get through the rest of corn without the crop loss problems we had the last two days, and no problems during set up in beans, or take it back now with 19 engine hours and 8 separator hours, and call it a demo. The following morning, which was the third day, the header loss was suddenly a big issue? Finally at two my partner and landlord asked me to get it off the field.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I don't know much about that, nor have I had a lot of experience. But if things were going very badly on a new machine like that, I would lean pretty hard on the dealer. Three weeks is a long time. I wouldn't let it go on much longer. Sounds like they are a small dealership who might even be struggling, but these machines are a lot of money out of your pocket. They are major investments. The dealer should have access to CNH tech support. Have them get a hold of Louis Melanson at Case. So far as I know he's one of their main experts for these combines in North America.

One thing I've learned is that if possible demo the combine you purchase. Even if it's just for a few hours.

One observation I can make about your situation is that it doesn't sound like you know much about the machine yet. I realize that takes a bit of time, and learning your way around the AFS monitor is a challenge. And you are under a lot of time pressure. But you have to know what rotor, convcave, fan, and sieve settings you're operating under, and a basic understanding of the theory behind them. As much as we'd like our machines to be simple appliances, they are not yet!

That hose thing is suspicious. I would be interested to learn which hose it was and why they think it blew.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Geez. for being in a machine for three days and not know every single setting your tried its strange to me. are you the one in the driver's seat learning how to use the machine or are you just letting them play with it? have you zeroed concaves, set pinch point, calibrated concaves clearance, calibrated sieves. How much combining experience do you have? first case machine? where's the header loss from? personally if a dealer can't back up their product and figure everything out in a day or two then there's problems there. can't help with settings as don't corn but we don't know what you tried...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Another thought, Is the combine set at the right angle, seems with all the loss the frame of the combine is at the wrong angle. is the back end of the combine higher than the front or is it level or back end dragging? The back end should be 3-4* higher that the front.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is my first case. I tried to buy one two years earlier, they brought a new 7230, had the exact same issues. After 5 days, I told them to come get it. But I gave them a second chance. No, I haven't been the one in the seat, they have had two of there guys in it trying to figure it out. I would be in the way, I just know enough to be dangerous, but it got over my head by noon. I will admit that I don't know everything about these machines, and I am learning everyday, but by the end of the second day, I cannot begin to count how many times settings were changed? What scares me, what's going to happen when we get into beans in a few weeks?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Seems like a very strange relationship you have with your partner and landlord. But I agree with blackpowder. Time's ticking by. I think you'll be better off with an S670 like your partner has and then you can set it the same as his and be done with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is what I tried to explain to my dealer. It is a picky partnership, but I'm sure you guys know how hard it is to add additional land! I cannot afford to lose that. But they just don't think the tree days is enough time, which I would love to give them a week, but when the partner and the landlords are not happy?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.