The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2588 crapped on us yesterday.
Missing and backfiring out the aircleaner. Engine has 700hours. Dad looked at it and it looks like a valve is not opening or something. I personally haven't had a chance to look at it. Our dealers seem to know little about the NEW engine. One service tech did mention an update with something to do with the lifters(pin?). Has anyone else had or heard of problems in this engine? Glad were almost done,can finish with the 1688.Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any service techs on here know anything about the new engine? Was there and update to the lifter problem? What was the problem? Is this a serious problem? Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think there was a serial number range that had problems with the pin that keeps lifter from turning. I don't remember if the pin would break or just fall out but this let lifter spin til it ruined lifter and cam shaft. Had this happen to a MX305.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If it is a 2008 model you would still have warranty on your engine. I have a 2008 model 2588 with just over 1000 hours on it and have had no problems yet. I haven't heard of any updates with the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is indeed a 2008 model. We bought it this spring with 500+ hrs on it. We are the second owner, does the warranty still apply. How long is the warranty good for? 1000hrs? 1688 has 3900 hrs on it, no major problems. NEW STUFF

·
Registered
363 Posts
Go back to your dealer with serial number in hand and find out for sure it still is on warranty, to the best of my knowledge the engine , all AFS compoents, are 2 years warranty from date of purchase. No maxium on hours. I don't know if the warranty is transferable this you would have to ask your territory rep or dealer.

Example if combine was purchased May 20/08 warranty would aply until May 20/10

·
Registered
5 Posts
labz4me there wrere some engines that had the lifter problem. There is a pin that holds the roller lifter straight and if the pin brakes off the lifter will turn and take out the cam. the easy way to check for this is the dealer should be able to do a cylender cut out test to see what cylender is missing and when you know that you can pull out the pins from the out side if the engine and check to see if any are broken on that cylender. thay are on the injection pump side of the engine and have an allen head. there are to per cylender, one intake and one exhaust. Good Luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. The closest dealer(50miles) won't even consider coming and looking at it until the week of the 16th. They are totally swamped. Dad made the mistake of telling them we wouldn't really need it for a while. Now we probably won't even have it for sunflower harvest. The dealer is swamped with service work. Isn't it great when Case/IH shuts down all the dealerships, nobody can do service work. Sometimes I think it would be better to go GREEN. NO I'm over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious what the problem turned out to be. The symptoms sounded kind of like my 06 2377 last fall. I had a bad injector that caused a scored cylinder. I never noticed any power loss but it would smoke when you would throttle up and at the very last it would backfire. CaseIh did treat me pretty well on this deal. They warrantied all the repair bill and all I had to cover was the combine haul to town and a week of combine rental. (it took a new injector, sleeve, and piston) The combine was on its third season with 700 hours at the time.(this was the electronic engine) Working great this year when weather cooperates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts