The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering to upgrade and would like to find a 4wd 60 series. It's slim pickings lately. But, we are starting to question whether or not we want it due to some stories we've heard. How many of you have had or heard of the rear motors going out and polluting the system? We have heard of a handful, so just wondering if they are worth the extra money to see them rip out on us. Also, could anyone explain the 2-speed concept? Don't understand what is gained, or at least the official reason.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
I first would ask why are you looking at 4WD?
I took it not because of mud (99% of the time) but because the combine is over geared, due to tire size, on hills 2nd gear will stall the system.
You end up with a 3 speed powershift: off 4WD is the same as 2WD high speed 4WD and low speed 4WD. The hydraulic motors on the rear wheels "rob" oil from the normal hydrostatic system at the 2 different rates depending on speed selected. This results in the combine slowing thereby increasing torque, now it can climb a steeper hill.
As to how they get the powered wheels to operate at 2 different volumes, that would be a mystery to me.
As to systems cratering, everything made by man eventually...will you know.

Don

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would say if you use 4wd one out of every three years, like here in Manitoba, then it is well worth the initial investment. Besides, you will get most if not all the money back when you trade. I have only seen one motor pile up in the 12 years i've been working on green combines. Just change your filters every year and change oil after a hard season instead of waiting 'till 2000 hrs.

The 2 speed function just changes the displacement of the motors. In high you have more speed, less torque and low is vice-versa. It's nice to have the choice, depending on severity of conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe me, I know the benefits of having 4wd behind me in some years. It's the difference between making it to the end and calling up the tow truck. It's just that some of the ones advertised have had their motors replaced and it just seemed a little bit more than coincidence. But, maybe those were the ones whose owners ran them into the ground without much respect. Oh well, back to the hunt. FYI, looking for a 2006 9660 w/ CM, HUR, & 4wd!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts