The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we went to start our 2010 JD 9770 STS combine to service it, it would turn over but not start. Being its all electronic we had JD sent us a mechanic and he replaced the ECM part # SE 502801 at a cost of $1,591.78 for re-manufactured part alone:mad:. After receiving a very expensive repair bill for this job i went and asked the service manager has JD had problems with this module on other units. He said no but they did put on a rebuild unit which to me sounds like they have had problems before. Has anyone else out there had the same problem with their combine,or is it like he said was just ours. We all know manufacturers all have hidden warranties but we have to prove first that others have had the same problem.Thanks for any information you guys can give me:). Tyler:

·
Registered
269 Posts
More than a few ecm's get sent back as cores that have nothing really wrong with them(besides desperate mechanics bolting on parts)...

That said it's not uncommon to have a controller fail. One simple cause could be a nearby lightning-strike(or a direct hit on a machine!)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not much experienced with farm equipment, but had seen this before in automotive world. ECM rarely goes bad but two common problems are water damage ( Like Late 90's and early 2000 VW Passats with sunroof. Water would flood the passengers footwell due to closet sunroof drain tubes and Transmission ECM would get submerged in water that would cause damages and shifting issues ). Also, early 2000 Toyota Corolla. A corrosion would appear on connector ends of ECM as not all of them were gold plated. I believe the replacement version had all of them gold plated.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ecms don't fail very often, normally self induced, jump start it with hooking cables up wrong or, yes a lightening strike, Scott.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's everyone for your input. Our combine never sits outside is always in the drive shed ( Dad's orders ) except if we didn't finish a field and are going to finish it the next morning. What i can't figure out is why all of a sudden it went,when it has been inside all winter and we do run it once a month during the winter until it gets to normal operating temp for the engine. Ran perfect last time and this time it just wouldn't start. I guess this is one John Deere is going to win, and here i was ready for a good fight with them,dam and here i was ready to get more free things from them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Lots of controllers get changed due to nobody taking the time to check the grounds.

But rarely one does fail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts