The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a problem with the STS Combine burning up circut boards. I work for a custom harvest company and we have been battling our John Deere 9760 STS combine for about three days now it seems to kepp burning up circuit boards the alternator is over chargeing or something is my guess. I'm Just wondering if any on else has had the same problem

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Problems with the STS Combine's eletrcal syst

I am a harvesting Contracter In Australia with 5 JD machines. I consider the circuit boards in John Deere to be their weakest components. I have a number of circuit board problems every year. And feel as if i am getting ripped off every time i have to pay there extorsionest prices to replace their crap. I know they do have bad baches, as a technition once told me they were doing a partial warranty claim on some boards . When talking to my peeres, the owners of red and yellow machines, it would apear that they dont have a tenth of the problems JD owners have with there boards.
Keeping them clean is important in protecting them, often times cases and covers leak allowing them to become covered in dust , which can cause them to overheat or fuse, never use compressed air to clean them, i use a soft brisseled paint brush and very gently brush the dust off.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

In a different post davedan suggested I check the grounds on my machine. I did, and sure enough, deere installed the cab ground straps over paint. I cleaned and greased the ground strap connections before reinstalling.

·
Registered
530 Posts

You may want to add a cab ground as I did, better to have too much ground than not enough. especially at 600 plus bucks for modules.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Make sure the unswitched power has sufficient grounding. Usually it is a weak ground connection, paint or loose nut. If it is still a issue. Time to look at connection ends.

Ground wires and cables should be equal to power in gauge. If the power is longer than ground, increase gauge size of ground.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Have experienced the problem, but not really found a solution. JD has completely redesigned the electrical system for the 70series. No more dusty circuit boards there. They must have been well aware of the problems.

·
Registered
530 Posts

I guess when your buying your electronics from the cheapest bidder or "Cell Factory" this is the kind of crap we have to run.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts

A friend once said to me "Do you realize that has over 1 million parts in it, all supplied by lowest bidder."
"That" being a Boeing 747.

Don

·
Registered
372 Posts

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."
Alan Shepard

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey just looking at your comments on the bords and the guy we get to fix up are combines uses that foam you get at hardware stores for doors and windows it is a bit tight but there is hardley ever any dust in the bord boxes.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Funny that this thread came up, cuz this harvest I've had to replace more controllers and cornerpost displays than ever before. Most were on 50 series walker and STS. I know what you mean about the grounds. They almost always have paint behind them. Installing a star washer helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have often had over charging errors comming thru, but when checking the alternators they are charging correctly, and yes the the only way is to change the circuit board. They have changed the alternator from the Delco to Bosch alternator, we had plenty bearing failures on Delcos. Check the Alternator if still using the Delco.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Ok, this electrical BS is officially out of hand. In the last week I had 2 armrest controllers burn out, 3 displays, and 1 cornerpost controller. All on 2000- 2001 50 series machines. Today was the last straw, though. I have a 9860 with the E04 left control unit not showing up, and subsequently the sieve and chaffer cannot be adjusted. I did diagnostics exactly as per manual, double checking all voltages. I replaced the controller, just like the manual said and still the same problem. Spent all day trying many different routes though the manual flowcharts and it told me to replace the left control unit every time. Worst part is I can't return the controller like when I worked at Deere. Extremely frustrating.

Motram, if it's not too much trouble can you look for a Dtac solution? Symptoms are- sieve and chaffer will not adjust, E04 does not show up on cornerpost, and Autoset display (top one) is blank. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Look at this

Solution Number: 71899

Solution Summary: Touchset chaffer and sieve not calibrated, code E04 200352.11 and E04 200353.11

Publication Date: Mar 27 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**

Complaint or Symptom :
Codes E04 200352.11 and E04 200353.11 are present after Chaffer and Sieve calibration. After operational calibration, elements are half way open

Problem or Situation :
Chaffer installation calibration, and sieve installation calibration have not been completed after installation of the touchset system. Or an element or motor has been replaced without performing installation calibration procedure.

Solution :
Follow instruction in Service Advisor section 240 Calibration Procedures for Installation Chaffer Calibration, and Installation Sieve Calibration

Additional Information :
Touchset STS Retrofit Bundle BH84263 and BH84279 with H208574 instruction does not contain this information. Applies to Models: 9650STS (Serial No. 700501-), 9750STS (Serial No. 700601-), 9560STS (Serial No. 705251-), 9660STS (Serial No. 705501-), 9760STS (Serial No. 705601-), and 9860STS (Serial No. 705701-) Combines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9880STS, 9750STS, 9760STS, 9650STS, 9660STS, 9860STS, 9560STS

DISPLAY, FAIL

·
Registered
778 Posts

The sieve and chaffer are not working at all. They cannot be adjusted from the cab or the left side external switches. I keep getting code C03 2000 01.09, no communication between left control unit 2 and cornerpost. I have access to another 9860 in good working order so I will try swapping cornerpost controllers, or maybe armrest controller?? Running out of ideas.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

Just thank your lucky stars your not having to deal with the COMMAND CENTRE on top of these problems. That thing in the 70 series has caused us some grief. If I never hear the 2 words Dtac case again it will be too soon.

·
Registered
400 Posts

what sort of problems are you having?
we have 30 or so of those combines out with no complaints so far.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

Just about every other day we have been getting a code that says air conditioning and pressurisation fan problem. At this point we lose our fans in the cab and we have to shut off the machine for 2 to 3 mins. With this problem comes the inability to adjust our cleaning fans. This problem has occured on both of our 9870's. We also lost all of our lights the other night. Could not get them back untill I cleared the many codes that came up, then restart the combine. One of the codes read armrest matrix problem, or something to that effect. We have had troubles at times dialing open or closed sieve and chaffer, and both had no obstructions along the edges to jam them up the switch along the outside of the combine worked to adjust them and the indicator on the comand centre also moved in conjunction. Seems to be a few ghosts here on these machines, likely need another software update........surprise, surprise.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts

Southcentralab I'm beginning to think your combine was built on the Sunday afternoon keg party at Harvesterworks.

Don

1 - 20 of 26 Posts