The Combine Forum banner

PT suspended boom for high clearance

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SouthernSK 
#1 ·
I searched and a couple years ago there were some guys using them. Are you still happy with them or have you updated to SP.
I like the large tank of a PT and only crop 700 acres so it's hard to justify a big payment. I'm debating either a suspended PT or a 3630 to 4640 spray coupe but I'm not sure if the 2wd will screw me (next year when it rains).
Thanks

#2 ·
I am going to be biased here because I am looking to sell my pull type NH S1070 to you but they do work just fine. Good value for a small operation. It was my second sprayer but moved to another self-propelled for disease and preharvest spraying - tractor/sprayer combo tramples too much crop. Large tank is nice for sure. Most importantly make sure you have a big enough tractor with good suspension and hydraulic flow(for pump and Norac). Check out the For Sale posts in General Community for info on my sprayer. Message me if interested.

#3 ·
We bought a 67xl sb and have put on 1100 acres so far. Really like it over the wheeled boom. Mine has no norac so guess what you're doing in draws and around oil leases. Other than that I like it. If I need fung or desication I can hire it. Don't farm enough to justify and swath everything. Do a lot of post harvest when conditions present. Currently pull with a 2590 case. Lots of power and hyd but rough and can smell spray in the cab. Reason I strictly only do herbicides.

#6 ·
For the price of the PT suspended boom I would look at a Spra Coupe. 2wd will run through a lot of mud, more than my pulltype with a mwfd tractor. Have a 4640 with 80ft booms and you can cover ground fast. The only downside is the 400gal tank. Lots of fills with 10gpa chems. It is nice not having a tractor tied up to a sprayer and there are very few wheel tracks left with the Coupe. I have floats for pre-seed and in crop and then skinny tires for pre-harvest. Have crop dividers on the front and nothing on the back and you really have to look to see your wheel tracks after. If your land is spread out and a one man show you can put a water tank in a grain truck and pull the sprayer behind you. You will find once you have a sprayer you will be doing more pre seed and harvest spraying as well as fungicides. Very handy and quick, also just sips fuel.

#7 ·
We can go through almost as much mud with our 1600 gallon flexicoil suspended boom as with our case high clearance. A two wheel drive will be alright as long as you have enough power and have a power shift. We have a front wheel assist magnum with 165hp and power shift and it has just enough power for the sprayer. When we had 130 hp and a standard transmission we were stuck a lot more in muddy conditions. If you lack power the power shift allows you to shift down and keep the wheels turning to get out of mud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.