The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a pto rebuilt in one of my 2188s this winter. It lasted 25 hours before exploding and destroying the case and everything. Dealer says he'd eat the labor if I buy the parts . I say he needs to eat it all. they rebuilt it after all.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
From what I hear about the fescue windrows in your area, you're lucky you did'nt loose the whole combine. Someone said the straw row out the back barely fit under the spreader shafts.

With stumpage where it is, you should be able to upgrade to a whole fleet of CXs..........
We were going to full straw load it again, but since the seed aint gunna sell, may as well make a buck or two on the straw.

Sorry to hear about your dealings with the dealership. I bet you're the only one to ever have any issues with them..........

·
Registered
809 Posts
So is he going to sell you the parts at his cost?

Did he give you a loaner combine for free after the gear box problems?

Tell him you won't bill him for the down time if he puts another rebuilt in for free.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i agree with the rest i say he eats the whole bill. it would be different if it was maybe 250 hrs not 25 when it blew apart was there any oil running out of it. like earlier stated they probably forgot to put the oil into it. good luck hope they take care of this screwup for you

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It had oil in it. I think they did something wrong when they overhauled it. I will be having a little "talk" with them today. I don't think I should pay for it twice.
Hey Don, It wasn't Fescue. I did my part and took all my fescue out last fall. I still have plenty in storage though. irrigated Fescue and rotary combines do not mix very well. My Cx has no problem with it at 3.5 mph. It's a white knuckle ride with a case ih. Wish I could get another cx . Maybe wheat will go high enough?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with midwest. you should be billing them AND getting a free rebuild.

If the roles were reversed you bet they'd do it to you!

Sounds like my dealer

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I wish we would have followed you lead. The unregulated fescue was not fun and I am ever so happy to be done with it and into the winter wheat.
And yes, it was white knuckle. But I was one of the lucky ones and never did have to dig out the rotor this year.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a nice "chat" with dealer yesterday and got them to eat the pto. No screaming and yelling involved. Thats about the first thing thats gone right this summer.
Hey Don, did you irrigate your fescue this year? You must know somethin I don't, Not having to unplug a rotor once in unregulated fescue is un heard of. Are you runnin 12 foot windrows or 14 ft? One of my neighbors tried 16 ft. windrows a couple of years ago in fescue and he had just got a 2388. Big Mistake, it never would dry and he was at 1 mph or less with the aforementioned "white knuckle syndrome" Anyway Hope you're havin a good year, at least as good as can be expected with everything the way it is. A gallon of roundup and a plow will cure that Fescue problem you got:)

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Wow,...sounds the dealer does not wish to see anymore of the yellow machine on your farm.?......

I run a 15' macdon 972. My combine is highly modified, mostly for seed harvesting and fescue as the main target. But I agree, the rotary machines are not the machine design of choice for tough, long straw swathed at ground level.

Yes I did irrigate one field last fall again. Just like your recomendation, I started watering, and did not let up till the rains hit. I was amazed at the results. Thank you for that bit of info. It really made that field that normally has over 50% of the field stay in drought dormancy till near november. Soil type and all if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya know , I forgot to mention that It was my New Holland Dealer that rebuilt my 2188 ptos. The Best mechanics from my local Case Ih store went to work for my local New Holland dealer (one of them became the manager) so I thought I'd be better off taking my stuff up there. I like these guys and have known them for many years which probably helped in them eating this pto, It was just a friendly conversation with no BS, and to the point and he agreed with me . The remaining mechanics at my local case ih dealer leave a little to be desired.
That irrigation thing is something I've spent all my life at and know its benifits. Fescue really responds to it. you need all the seed you can get todays price which is why a plow is the best answer for it.
Just for kicks Don , if you get time ,could you explain you're axial flow setup. I'm always lookin to make things move through these machines better in tough conditions. Looks Like I'll be keepin them for a while until I can afford another Cx. I may be retired(or broke) by then:)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
glad ya gotter fixed, what caused this?, shim to tight?, everthing going to motor fine? flexplate and shaft, scott.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know, they haven't told me. They first tried to blame me for plugging it, which I haven't done. Even if I had it shouldn't destroy it. I've plugged these things many, many times and never had to rebuild after 20 hours. I've had them plugged so tight with fescue straw I had to remove the concaves and the grates to pull all the straw out before. I think they were just fishin. And if I agreed to pay ,great for them. If I thought it was my fault I would have but I don't think so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts