The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to really crank up my fertilizer program and need more capacity. Therefore really throwing around the idea of pulling 2 tanks with our 1835 drill. Both 430bushel 1910 JD carts, one TBT and TBH. Has anyone had any experience doing this? Can the TBT cart handle the stress of a 61' drill and tank behind it? etc...
I know the other option is just buying a new larger unit. However I just don't feel like dropping a half million and I am very happy with the drill, always have been, so I feel I can really add capacity for a real good bang for the buck.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I know one guy doing that on a 60 footer but the tanks are the 350. I was told that he also wanted to pull a liquid tank but John Deere would not warrenty his drill.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Can't speak to the 1910. But with my Morris 7300 TBT the straight pull wasn't the issue it was on the headlands while turning uphill and side loading the spindle on the "inside" of the turn. Ended up breaking one the first season.

Mines a smaller setup all around 320 bu TBT, 40 disc drill and 225 bu TBH. Works good for me. Makes for fast filling with two augers running at the same time. Takes an extra ~5 minutes vs loading a single cart. With two guys would be the same time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would say it should be fine. We have a JD 195bu 1900 TBT that has been pulling a 61 1820 and 3200 imp gal liquid cart for the last 7 years with no issues. Only upgrade to the 1900 is a 1/2" chain hooked from the front of cart hitch to the rear cart hitch to help with some of the pull. I am confident we would of pulled it apart by now without the chain on it.

We also have a 2014 430bu 1910 TBT pulling 61' 1830 and a 3400imp gal cart. It has been run for one season with no issues.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am wanting to really crank up my fertilizer program and need more capacity. Therefore really throwing around the idea of pulling 2 tanks with our 1835 drill. Both 430bushel 1910 JD carts, one TBT and TBH. Has anyone had any experience doing this? Can the TBT cart handle the stress of a 61' drill and tank behind it? etc...
I know the other option is just buying a new larger unit. However I just don't feel like dropping a half million and I am very happy with the drill, always have been, so I feel I can really add capacity for a real good bang for the buck.
Thanks for any input.
A few units around here run with dual tanks. No issues mechanically. If you are wanting to use documentation on all 6 tanks you will need to run a display for each tank. If not then one 2600/2630 will run both tanks.

·
Registered
869 Posts
We have a 430 bu 1910 tbt and a 350 bu tbh with a 1870 in between and it pulls just fine. Actually pulls into field approaches better than some single tank units. Our 56' 1870 pulls really hard for its size I think.

710 duals are not quite enough tire in wet conditions. On dry ground 6% slip is normal but last year I was at 12% more than I would like.

We run both tanks with the pro 700 case monitor like cobra said you need two separate JD monitors for documentation but everything else works with one monitor.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm not sure but you might need some programming help to make everything work together. The hitch switch turns the meters on and off on ours. Your dealer should be able to help you out. Or phone Jason Thibault ? at prairie coast in Grand Prairie. The blockage monitors also come up on a separate screen in the virtual terminal FYI. So you get three different pages on the vt screen to control everything.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Have you considered using NH3. Maxquip liquid nh3 systems have made nh3 a much nicer product at seeding than it used to be. Maxquip twin band openers or dutch precision series work well. Can have cheap sectional control and really increase your acres per fill.

Pulling 2 carts takes lots of hydraulics and can take a long time to fill.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Actually the two carts are really fast to fill up if you fill both tanks at the same time you have double the auger capacity ;). I've filled 780 bu in 25 minutes from start to finish. One 10" auger and one conveyer. Using hopper augers on one truck and a funnel on a tandem truck helps speed things up too.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Actually the two carts are really fast to fill up if you fill both tanks at the same time you have double the auger capacity ;). I've filled 780 bu in 25 minutes from start to finish. One 10" auger and one conveyer. Using hopper augers on one truck and a funnel on a tandem truck helps speed things up too.
Don't think I could run back and forth fast enough to fill both at the same time without making a big mess, in fact, I know I couldn't!

·
Registered
869 Posts
It takes a real good sequence of events to fill by yourself but is not too bad. The 10" auger is the slowest on the biggest tank so I get it running first and then set up the conveyer on the 350 bu tank second. If it looks like two tanks are going to be full at the same time I'll either slow one down or stop it, switch the other tank over and then restart the second one. I havnt plugged up yet but I have skinned up my shins on the stairs. That slows you down for the next few days.

·
Registered
370 Posts
used to pull tank in front and nh3 in rear, way more N capacity per lb, less fill times as well. as mentioned previously the big issue is often the corners and side hills. did have dual axles all the way around on the old prasco, and it was only 150 bus. the idea of having a direct hitch to tank was a superior way of hook up rather than pin to pin. there was less drag, the tool bar was closer to the tractor, there was some weight transfer as well. the further back you have the implement the more drag and loss you have..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.