The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puma tractor has the factory loader on it when cold out the loader wont raise everything else works hydraulic. We replaced the joystick didn't help. Cant figure this out works normal when warm. Could there be moisture somewhere?

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
I had one of those years back and it did the same thing. I think there is some electronic solenoids/valves/whatever in there that are pretty sensitive to the tolerances changing when it's cold out. This is many years ago but I think it would start moving only for a short bit then longer and longer and finally it would work normal when warmed up. I wonder if some synthetic oil would help the situation?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Once had a leaking cap on hydraulic reservoir allowing rain in. Water settled in the cylinder and froze, not allowing oil flow to operate cylinder. Crack the fittings by the cylinder and operate control and see if you have oil flow to the cylinder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are going to change the oil and see if that helps. Its only the loader lift that wont work until warm in this cold it takes hour or more to get warm enough. All other hydraulics seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Oil too stiff to work in load sense line???
I have had the check balls in Pioneer couplers cause low flow when the guts of the female coupler screws out and does not open the ball all the way. Usually that is a low flow that gradually gets slower though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Oil too stiff to work in load sense line???
I have had the check balls in Pioneer couplers cause low flow when the guts of the female coupler screws out and does not open the ball all the way. Usually that is a low flow that gradually gets slower though.
HA finally someone else had the same problem!
I'm not the only one for a change.
The lever style parker female coupler was what I had issues with.
Still battling with the damages that caused and not done yet.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
HA finally someone else had the same problem!
I'm not the only one for a change.
The lever style parker female coupler was what I had issues with.
Still battling with the damages that caused and not done yet.
I have't heard of it often either. It was the #1 stock Pioneer female lever coupler on a 1993 CaseIH 9280 pulling a FC/JD air cart. The fan slowly ran slower until the air system started plugging. Lots of problems with that until we switched fan supply circuit. I was resistant to run the fan on a different circuit because #1 was the one for fans and had the detent set up for it. An easy way to check it is to get some swivel connector fittings and just eliminate the Pioneer coupler between the hoses. It immediately started working then. I had suspected that the tractor hydraulic pump was failing and a few other more serious problems to fix.

What type of long term damages did you experience from this?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Was running this particular tractor on sprayer hyd drive pump.
So far all the load sensing shuttle valve orings in the remotes valves were all fried bad from the heat, actually a couple orings were completely gone disintegrated.
This caused the expensive Bosch Rexroth pump to stay at high pressure standby causing that that needing to be replaced.
Now there are issues somewhere further down the line because lost the main wet traction drive clutch cuts out now for some unknown reason.
All this started with a parker lever type pioneer female coupler that the body partly unscrewed itself and had a small amount of external oil leakage.
Think it ran a couple seasons with the coupler partly unscrewed.
Been nothing but headaches and not done yet.
I might start a thread on this junk pile for the main clutch symptoms.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Was running this particular tractor on sprayer hyd drive pump.
So far all the load sensing shuttle valve orings in the remotes valves were all fried bad from the heat, actually a couple orings were completely gone disintegrated.
This caused the expensive Bosch Rexroth pump to stay at high pressure standby causing that that needing to be replaced.
Now there are issues somewhere further down the line because lost the main wet traction drive clutch cuts out now for some unknown reason.
All this started with a parker lever type pioneer female coupler that the body partly unscrewed itself and had a small amount of external oil leakage.
Think it ran a couple seasons with the coupler partly unscrewed.
Been nothing but headaches and not done yet.
I might start a thread on this junk pile for the main clutch symptoms.
Sorry to hear you have such extensive damage. That sucks. There is no simple fix when damage is that extensive. I was lucky it happened while running the air drill fan where you know right away that flow is dropping. I like your comment about finally someone else with this problem!! I wonder if a lot of times it is never really diagnosed before it gets "fixed" but just traded off or a lot of new parts thrown at the problem. I took my coupler right apart and the threads were loose. Could turn it with fingers. What is supposed to hold these from new? Loctite or staking threads??? That was all that was wrong with mine. What tractor was yours on? Best of luck on your repair project.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Our puma tractor has the factory loader on it when cold out the loader wont raise everything else works hydraulic. We replaced the joystick didn't help. Cant figure this out works normal when warm. Could there be moisture somewhere?
The solenoid valves that your loader joystick actually operates likely can’t tolerate the thick fluid viscosity at extremely low temperatures when the tractor is in prolonged cold storage.The porting for the triggering poppet in the valve cartridges in those type of a valves is very tiny.

I don’t ordinarily use electrically controled valves in the winter, but most of the classic mechanical valves that I do use as well as the filters and strainers forces me to add about 5 to 10% winter grade diesel fuel into the hydraulic fluid before it gets bitterly cold and stays that way.

You can always blast some fluid back into pails or a barrel in the spring if you you don’t think it will be diluted out enough by other remote hydraulic implements.

I would start with just a gallon of diesel but you would likely notice it needs a little more in a few weeks if it stays super cold. This doesn’t apply to the other tractor symptoms discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sorry to hear you have such extensive damage. That sucks. There is no simple fix when damage is that extensive. I was lucky it happened while running the air drill fan where you know right away that flow is dropping. I like your comment about finally someone else with this problem!! I wonder if a lot of times it is never really diagnosed before it gets "fixed" but just traded off or a lot of new parts thrown at the problem. I took my coupler right apart and the threads were loose. Could turn it with fingers. What is supposed to hold these from new? Loctite or staking threads??? That was all that was wrong with mine. What tractor was yours on? Best of luck on your repair project.
Exactly as you describe no loctite spun with fingers.
New valves have nothing to hold them either just whatever torque is applied from new.
Disaster tractor is a MF 8160.
Had it happen also on the Versatile 946 running the drill.
But that experience was more like yours.
Lack of fan speed no visible external leak from the coupler kept turning flow control higher no improvement in fan speed.
Coupled the hoses direct with pipe thread coupler removed totally the pioneer assembly and all kinds of fan speed.
Started looking at the couplers, removed them from the aluminum mounting block and sure as sh1t one coupler is halfway unscrewed restricting the flow.
Replaced with this type end of problem.
8003337.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Greywolf does your loader run off of the rear remotes or does it have its own mid mount valve? If you try to raise the loader can you hear the hydraulics kick in or not? Try to raise the loader and at the same time dead head another remote see if the works. If that does not turn the steering wheel against the stop and hold it there while trying to raise the loader what happens? This will tell you if the issue is in the load sense or not. Do you get power down will it raise the front wheel off the ground? Does the bucket work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts