The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice on a combine purchase.

Intended use: harvest approx. 800acres of chickpeas, spring wheat durum and special crops in Southwest Saskatchewan. May consider doing some custom work.

Intended header: 1)shelbourne CX84 stripper,
2)occasional use of pickup header

Machines:
Had been looking hard to find a 1480 in field ready shape. Located a couple that can be had for between $9,000 and $12,000 with 810 headers and belt pickups. Price depends upon machine hours 3,400 up to 5,400 hours.

Came across an add for a 1994 1688 with 6100hours for $15,000. Approx. 450 hours on concave, rub bars, elephant ears, veins, and feeder chain. Comes with a 1015 header and victory super 8 pickup. Machine is a one owner and used to be used on for custom combining starting in the US and working up to Saskatchewan. Advertised as field ready. Seller says feeder house switch has to be played with to get the feeder house to engage.

I had been looking for 1480 originally but for basically the same money the 1688 is a lot more combine however it has a lot more hours, not sure I need the HP with a stripper header however they are heavy and need a strong chassis to carry. My original thinking was to buy a combine for less than $12,000 use it for 3 or 4 years keep it around as a parts machine and purchase a newer machine (well looked after) i.e. late model 1680 to 2188.

Any comments?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Unless the 1688 turns out to be a pile of junk I'd take it over a 1480 any day. I've spent a lot of time in a 1480 and 1680 and the 1680 wins hands down. The 1688 would be even better in my opinion. Compared to a 1480 you get a lot more capacity so you can get done with your crops quicker and still have time for custom work. It's also quieter and more comfortable.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm with Kevin on this one. Go with the 1688 for sure. If you do use it for a parts machine later on, you have the long shoe and most of the other parts will fit a later 2188 or 2388. Plus every thing he already said.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A combine can be worn out at 3100 hrs. If it hasn't been maintained. If the 1688 is close to the same condition as the 1480s, it's not really much of a decision. Look very carefully as you can easily double the cost of a combine to get it in reliable condition. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and/or get a mechanic you trust to look over it. I have easily spent at least $35000 on my 1660 over the last 7 yrs to get it in excellent condition and I 'thought' it was in good condition when I bought it. Here is a list of all my repairs.

2002:
Bought from Tri County with 3500 hrs
All new augers
New transition cone
New elevator chains
2003:
New tires
New elephant ears and rasp bars
2004:
Rebuilt and hard surfaced concaves
Rebuilt clean grain auger trough
New feeder chain
New reverser motor
2005:
Traded for 20ft header
New unloading auger elbow
New water pump
2006:
New hydrostat and coupler
New top chaffer screen
2007:
Completely new and updated extended wear unloading system (augers, tubes, gearboxes)
Poly liner in grain tank
New boot on bottom of vertical auger
New rear axle
Painted with new decals
New cab interior
2008:
Stewert steel excellerator auger front end on rotor
New rasp bars and kickers
New bushings and bolts in rotor drive hub
New feeder chain
New tri-rib pulley on feeder with bearings and belt
Separator and rotor drive reworked
New unloading auger cable
Reworked feeder (floor, bearings, drum, and faceplate)
Wooden blocks on bed augers
Bottom of clean grain elevator replaced
Injector pump and injectors rebuilt
New hydraulic pump
New oil pump
GS2 yield monitor
Rebuilt spreaders
New rotor belt
HID light
Spare alternator

Header
2008:
New floor pans and LH divider and LH reel drive
New RH drive shaft
New wobble box
New height sensing cable
Rebuilt auger finger system
New bushings in reel
New guards and knife

2010 on combine:
replaced feeder chain, sprockets, and silencer
replaced shaker bushings and needle bearings
replaced cover/cone at rear of rotor
replaced rotor drive hub and bushings

·
Registered
591 Posts
I did a lot of it myself but the last several years the dealer has done a lot of it. The work is not difficult but I have found that I have fewer breakdowns if the dealer goes through it every year. He finds stuff that I may overlook and makes sure it goes back together just right with the proper clearances. I can do most any repair job but the mechanic can do it quicker and better than I can. I detest downtime during harvesting and probably spend mor on preventive maintenance than I should, but for the last several years, I have had virtually no breakdowns until the very end of harvest and I cover about 1600 acres a year with the 1660

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why upgrade using the money I paid on repairs for a newer machine that will need the same repairs if I don't need more capacity. I bought the combine for $25000 plus $35000 or so for repairs over 7 years. What kind of 2166 or 2366 could I have bought for that money? Not a very good one in my area. I now have an extremely reliable machine that I know frontwards and backwards and gets the job done in a timely fashion. I've looked into upgrading but I am not ready to start all over again with a machine whose owner let maintenance slide for the last few years cause he new he was going to trade. A peach of a machine is not easy to find in my area for a reasonable price

·
Registered
591 Posts
It is my belief that if properly maintained and kept up, a machine is never really wore out. You will run into major repairs eventually, but their cost will be far less than the cost of a new machine

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi there, if you divide it out on acres thats 3,125 $/acre in maintenance cost.
Reliabillity is the keyword.
And I would guess that the machine is long paid for.. 25k$ in 7 seasons that's say 3$/acre and you still have the machine.

Back on track, if the 1688 is near close to the 1480 in maintenance level go for that....

·
Registered
3 Posts
the 1480 has a much smaller cleaning area than the CDC case combines(Case designed cummins)) so if you plan on turning up the ponies on your 1480 it will toss it out the back like a John Deere, the CIH 1688 is hands down the better buy not to mention the drivetrain is built way heavier. Also the CDC combines have the cross flow fans which are far superior to the batt fans of the 1400/early 1600 series

1 - 11 of 11 Posts