The Combine Forum banner

Would you be interested in buying chemical online and get it shipped direct to farm?

• Yes

Votes: 75 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 25.7%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum looking forward to this. Wondering if there has ever been a discussion about purchasing chemicals online. I always wonder why I have to go through my retail for certain products that they aren't really helping me with since I have been using it for years and I have an independent agronomist helping me with scouting anyways. Does anyone know of any companies doing this yet? I have added a poll too to see how many growers would like to have the ability to order some products direct to save some money.....maybe that will help some of the companies to wake up if they see there is demand.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I already use an online broker , I like transparency in pricing, I don't like going into a store and buying something without knowing how much it is charged out at. When buying small lines locally I will often buy a drum from several stores to get a feel for there pricing policies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Stevie, no just a medium size farmer who wonders why this part of the industry hasnt evolved. I have an agronomist I pay for scouting and recommendations and dont need the retail to sell me products. Just wondering if there are others out there. Would also be nice to just have a price and not have to worry about different retail prices at different locations.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Do they also take it back when plans change....online?

When you are 1 jug short can you just whip down the road to the internet and get some to finish the field?

How about when there is a new product that you have been waiting for, does the lady at the call center know that you have been a reliable customer and set some aside for you?

Personally I think the face-to-face business is one of the best parts of farming. Big companies are already trying to erode some of that, our local farm supply outlets are our best defense against us all just becoming a #. My opinion.;)

Reactions: southalta

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Good points Swman. I never thought about returns etc. There is nothing worse than being a couple jugs short or not being able to get the product in a timley manner. The logistics of get the internet ordered product to you and returned could be very frustrating and expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
WOW... thats so short sighted thinking online chem is a good idea. What about the times the the local dealer has a good deal, do you forget about that. Will the on line guy from another country have his name on your kids hockey jersey. The guys that like this idea are probably on a special list at the dealers anyway. Way to support local!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I agree with SWMan. Lot of problems can come out of online sales. I guess if someone has never changed on what was originally planned on putting out then it might be ok. Around here the weather can change and make me change what I will do. Would hate to preorder everything then need to send it all back to order something else at the last minute. The window of spraying can be very narrow and waiting on chemicals is not an option! Not to mention the headaches of something not working right and getting someone to come in to verify it was a bad batch. It seems many must live in a much more perfect world than me. Kinda reminds me of the time diesel fuel was short and people from neighboring state was trying to find fuel. My supplier refused to sell to them, said it was committed to supply his regular customers. Fuel was never a concern to us that year. Try finding someone that committed to you with online sales of anything.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
The issue of timeliness is significant , I generally purchase bulk products that I am broadly aware of my consumption . These also incidentally seem to be the products that there is low margin on anyway. Like generic glysophate and treflan. I have personally met my online broker .

Brokerage is a good way of putting the power back in your hands. He sources some stuff from current retail suppliers when they are trying to quit inventory but he also puts deals together with overseas manufacturers in a no clean up fashion.

If you source product cheaper then you personally have the choice where you put your dollars to support the local community rather than a shop doing it. If it didn't get their name on the edge of the sports field do you think they would do it ?

I really feel for business's that are fighting Internet and eBay sales but it is a fact of life and guilt will only hold back the tide so long. Like I am always being asked to do I need to remodel my business to stay profitable the unfortunate truth is everybody has to do that. Sitting around and crying in your beer about the approaching tidal wave of Internet business will not make it go away.

Someone once said farmers are the only ones who buy retail and sell wholesale and pay the freight both ways. Unless there is competition business's will like anybody else rape those without bargaining power.

Rant over;(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies. You guys have brought up some good points. I agree the products I want to buy online are generally the ones that are low maintenance for the retail anyways. I guess I would just need to make sure I am willing to carryover unused product and buy a buffer. I think I will look into FNA I have heard of them but thought I had heard you need a membership to buy from them. Does anyone have experience with them?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I was in one of my local farm supply stores today and this quote was on the wall:

“There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person’s lawful prey. It’s unwise to pay too much, but it’s worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money — that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot — it can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.” John Ruskin

I thought that was interesting timing for this thread.:)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Do they also take it back when plans change....online?

When you are 1 jug short can you just whip down the road to the internet and get some to finish the field?

How about when there is a new product that you have been waiting for, does the lady at the call center know that you have been a reliable customer and set some aside for you?

Personally I think the face-to-face business is one of the best parts of farming. Big companies are already trying to erode some of that, our local farm supply outlets are our best defense against us all just becoming a #. My opinion.;)
Couldn't agree more. Where would be without the dependants and local retailer? Up a creek with no paddle imo.

·
Registered
633 Posts
:p:(:eek::rolleyes::cool:If your suppliers aren't looking after you and you need to source it else where that is tough. But what we do is order that years chem or fert or sell stock through the competition and the next year we get cost plus and all the best deals .hey presto..............

Online is good when all other avenues of good service have turned to sheite.

( and if these new posters are just doing research . good luck to them atleast they are getting it from real men and not books):confused:;):D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Last summer was my first experience using an online source to pick up my herbicide. Now I still use my local supplier, but now have the option to shop around. Sometimes they arent in the same ballpark as far as price but the quality has been identical. The only thing im lacking is support. Usually I order online when the local dealer runs out of a particular herbicide. Last season Dicamba became scarce, it was readily available online.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Has anyone dealt with Farmtrade? It used to be called XS ag. It's an online name your price chemical buying and selling site.

Has the product been good? Is it shipped in time? Any problems? How has it been priced to local retailer. Is your bid accepted rather quickly.

I can see buying your normal stuff you purchase every year for the lowest price when margins are tight to stay in the game.

I can also see purchasing from the local supplier at possibly a higher price to support the local community when margins are good and profits allow paying a little more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.