The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the Seedhawk drill with 12" twinwing but have heard nothing but terrible reviews about the cart. I like Seedmaster's R&D with tanks and sectional control. Is it possible to put a Nova cart on a Seedhawk?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really want to go 12" shank spacing because I have heard trash clearance with hawk/master is poor. However I am a huge believer in narrow row spacing for yield. We run 3 1/2 paired row on 9.8" shank spacing now and is the best thing we ever did - yield, weed control, standup in lentils. I suppose if I go 10" single shank and get 'seed between row' hitch I shouldn't have any trash issues? What are people's thoughts on seedmaster trash clearance - control your stubble and you will be ok? Regarding twin wings what was your issue with them johndeere95? Through reading comments on them I figured reviews are about 75% positive which on this forum is pretty good. I believe hawk moves their shanks when you choose twin wing so the fert knife runs directly in front of the twin wing. It seems Seedmaster is sticking to their guns with saying wider spacing is better and are not offering a paired row option - I don't think you could move their shanks to line up and put a paired row opener on. I could go Contour 2 but I like the Hawk idea with 2 shanks for paired row - better separation I believe - also want sectional control and Morris is still working out the kinks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We did just what you are thinking. 12in 3 1/4 paired row on 12 in space. Set it up last spring had very good emergence and trash clearence. We have benn seeding the past few days when others cant get straw through - hawks/masters/JD.
Only we went poor mans drill - 8910 BG with shank mount packers.
Not as sexy as the fancy drills but it's money, time and yeild that count. Especially now in wet conditions and lots of trash from last year.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Klajb. Instead of seed hawks sbr hitch put the money into rtk or omnistar for seed between the rows.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I really want to go 12" shank spacing because I have heard trash clearance with hawk/master is poor. However I am a huge believer in narrow row spacing for yield. We run 3 1/2 paired row on 9.8" shank spacing now and is the best thing we ever did - yield, weed control, standup in lentils. I suppose if I go 10" single shank and get 'seed between row' hitch I shouldn't have any trash issues? What are people's thoughts on seedmaster trash clearance - control your stubble and you will be ok? Regarding twin wings what was your issue with them johndeere95? Through reading comments on them I figured reviews are about 75% positive which on this forum is pretty good. I believe hawk moves their shanks when you choose twin wing so the fert knife runs directly in front of the twin wing. It seems Seedmaster is sticking to their guns with saying wider spacing is better and are not offering a paired row option - I don't think you could move their shanks to line up and put a paired row opener on. I could go Contour 2 but I like the Hawk idea with 2 shanks for paired row - better separation I believe - also want sectional control and Morris is still working out the kinks.
We have had a Seedmaster since 2007. We wanted to buy a 10" machine (we seed lots of peas and lentils and prefer the narrower seed rows) and were STRONGLY talked out of it by our JD dealer via Seedmaster. We bought the 12" and 2 years later I went to purchase enough additional openers to change it to a 10" machine. I told the parts guy at John Deere that when he phones Seedmaster for the openers, they will ask you why I am doing it and they will try and talk me out of doing it. Sure enough, that is exactly what happened. I had the order put in anyways and told the parts man to tell Seedmaster to just worry about building their drills and I will worry about what works best on my farm. I have been extremely happy with the unit ever since. We run a JD 1910 cart with it. We bale most of our durum straw and what we don't bale we heavy harrow after harvest. We have very little issues with trash in the spring. The only issue we sometimes seem to have, is seeding into tough pea straw during damp mornings, but other than that we have few problems with trash.

Don't know why Seedmaster is so **** bent on wide row spacings but I believe in the theory of covering the ground with the plants you want and discourage weeds from filling in the spaces. Maybe because Seedmaster gets the most complaints on trash build-up and that is their solution to the problem. Just a guess.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My theory with wider spacings especially wheat is a wider spacing will allow fore better air flow in the conopy (cereals), reducing disease. But just a theory. We run one 66' hawk and one 66' master both on 12" spacings. With the amount of straw we have this year think 10" spacings would be more difficult. Think 14" is to much though.

·
Registered
497 Posts
We were thinking along the same lines as you with the 12 inch spacings and 3 inch seedbed utilization, the twin wings were very hard to pull and in less than perfect conditions they would start to push and wouldn't clean and would get to the point of pushing the dry fert out of the fert trench, we switched part way threw a field of canola and the difference was night and day, after that I would never use twin wings again. We also have the sbr hitch and it works amazing was using it this morning and it was raining and I could keep going without it I would have to quit 2.5 hours earlier, I just use sf1 no need for rtk.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts