The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across what I think is a good deal on a truck scale. Has 3, 45000 pound load cell beams and readout, no deck. Has anyone put in a used scale? I'm wondering roughly what it would cost to put a deck on it and set it up. Thinking just for split weighing trucks, it won't need to be built up too high. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
Make sure its current style, as in the load cells and other equipment being current. Having to update an old scale to new style load cells can get pricey.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agree with Kevlar. We have one spare load cell for our platform scale. Got it used for $1500. There are 8, and they're not made anymore. After that we lift it, put 4 new weigh bars, 8 new load cells and new wiring and computers. Not looking forward to that day.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point on that. It's a 96 I believe, so not that old, but maybe in scale years it is?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ours has Norac cells. That was this issue. Phone Scale Solutions and ask their take. Not Prairie scale

·
Registered
674 Posts
Deck was more money than the loadcells if i recall.
Deck is easy to build, its the mounting of the loadcells which can be trickier, they are not allowed to go sideways much. It needs a drawing board imo to build a scale deck, we have a toledo, awesome scale and accurate but parts are insane expensive but we got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We have a short scale (30'deck) that we use mainly for ground weighing cattle, but it also gets used to weigh grain and silage trucks. Do yourself a favor and put in an 80' long scale, it will save a lot of time and headache of having to get in and out to punch tickets multiple times per load and you will be much happier. The deck won't cost that much and the load cells will be the same

·
Registered
674 Posts
We have a short scale (30'deck) that we use mainly for ground weighing cattle, but it also gets used to weigh grain and silage trucks. Do yourself a favor and put in an 80' long scale, it will save a lot of time and headache of having to get in and out to punch tickets multiple times per load and you will be much happier. The deck won't cost that much and the load cells will be the same
$63 k for 50ft deck
$109k for a 90 foot deck.
that;s without concrete pillars yet

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've been watching truck scales on ritchie bros for a few years. The price range seems to be from $32k - 57k US. 10-11ft wide and 70-90ft long. These were mostly local to me. They usually come from gravel companies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
$63 k for 50ft deck
$109k for a 90 foot deck.
that;s without concrete pillars yet
I think you need a different price quote, that's quite a difference for 40' of deck. My local coop recently installed (within the last year) 2 new scales at locations, 11'x90' Avery Weigh-Tronix, and they were $120,000 USD installed, these were new installations so everything is new from the ground up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think you need a different price quote, that's quite a difference for 40' of deck. My local coop recently installed (within the last year) 2 new scales at locations, 11'x90' Avery Weigh-Tronix, and they were $120,000 USD installed, these were new installations so everything is new from the ground up.
double deck length almost double sensors, because the 50ft scale could only scale 45 tonne where a 90ft can do almost double that. double railing etc.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
About 20 years ago I bought a 55 ton Mantle beam scale with 34’ concrete deck from a AWP elevator. It was a good unit except for the concrete deck surface being soft from road salt dripping off trucks. Paid about 4 grand by the time I got it home. Found 4 new load cells and readout brand ??? for $5,500 so chose not to put in a 6’ deep pit due to cost and water problems. We jackhammered the concrete off the deck, flipped the steel upside down and welded in some used 10” beam I had to support a 5/16” steel deck, both which made the deck lower and easier to keep the approach ramps short and flat. It worked well. That was at the stage I had a concete and welding crew there so the mods wound up costing 10-12,000 IIRC. More than I thought. But I love the smooth steel deck. The 4 load cells were tricky to build the mounts for and sit on 30”x 18’ concrete pilings with lots of steel. It all came together quite well but ended up costing more than originally thought. Probably $30,000 with all concrete abutments so it gets away on you pretty quick. That does not include all ground work and gravel that I did myself.

Another thing to be aware of is that as soon as you have a scale the Canada weights and measures cowboys start snooping around because it is illigal to have an uncertified scale if it is being used for trade. Not that that would ever happen! I just calibrated the scale from known weights of a truck and trailer coming from the elevator scale. I caught a few weight discrepancies of grain leaving the yard compared to what it weighed at the unload end. Anything within a ton is normal but when it gets to 3-4 ton in their favor it is worth bringing it up. And you have some numbers to support your disagreement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts