The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like a wet spring possibly upgrading 4wd will a 450hp with 800s go through wet and muddy conditions the same as quadtrac 450 with 36 inch tracks ?? I’ve never tried a quad track so any info would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Location and soil type?

Here in a clay-loam soil tracks work real good in wet conditions, although the quad-track design is awful to keep clean and takes power to run. I would say the tracks would go through more than 800's unless it's really loose slimy mud, and leave a smaller footprint while doing it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya we farm in central alberta
Got a wide range of dirt a bit of
Peat moss , heavy black soil, lighter river land and some sandy soils

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ya we farm in central alberta
Got a wide range of dirt a bit of
Peat moss , heavy black soil, lighter river land and some sandy soils
If you are wanting to pull an air drill in wet conditions tires will work better than tracks. If you do go with tracks go for 30" not 36". Tracks work great on dry ground but have to much flotation to bite into wet soil and pull.
I have seen a couple deere quads stuck that didn't even start to dig. When I first saw them I didn't think they were stuck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Consider an option for tire inflation system. Usually takes about 2 minutes to inflate / deflate the tires. With deflated tires you'll get all the benefits of the tracks : better traction, less soil compaction. And none of the hassles related to trucks( high cost, loss of power, complicated maintenance and cleaning).
I know that on the 4WD that we sell (435 hp Kirovets K744) the inflation system is less than 5,000$.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are wanting to pull an air drill in wet conditions tires will work better than tracks. If you do go with tracks go for 30" not 36". Tracks work great on dry ground but have to much flotation to bite into wet soil and pull.
I have seen a couple deere quads stuck that didn't even start to dig. When I first saw them I didn't think they were stuck.
Pros and cons to tracks or tires. Tracks have great flotation. Makes less ruts and less compaction but under certain conditions will spin out. At least you wont sink out of sight. Pull the pin and drive out or better yet leave everything hooked up and pull her out by the tow cable. Tires can be more aggressive in those conditions but you also risk digging yourself in if you cant make it thru the wet spot. Then its worse. I think it would help if the lugs were deeper on the tracks similar to how a R1W tire is. It would probably make the tracks more aggressive in mud.

The tire inflation system is an interesting concept and I think could have a lot of potential with the proper tires and ballast. Adjusting psi on the go could give lots of flexibility.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Just get tracks. Tracks are for traction and flotation. They make tires like the 1400 LSW and try to compare them to tracks for a good reason.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
Sometimes when it is really muddy we find It better to shallow cultivate the low spots several hours ahead of seeding them especially in wet heavy clay. It does such a better job seeding and covering up the seed than mucking it straight in, it also keeps the openers from pluging with mud. As far as tire and tracks the tracks definitely rip up a lot smaller foot print in the mud than tires. With our triples the packer wheels on the drill that go in the tire tracks are so much more prone to getting balled up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Something that hasn’t been mentioned on this subject is weight. Spinning tires or tracks has a lot to do with lack of weight, even in mud. When I was shopping for my last tractor I found most good used tractors were way too light. The one I bought was a Challenger 965B with 710 x 42 Michelins weighted to 62,000 lbs. No fluid. It would pull the drill through mud and even water because it had the weight to have traction. I wanted 800s but was very happy with the combination I wound up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts