The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to replace some rollers on a 2002 quadtrac and this is what I think I have learned from one dealer and what we did. I wanted to replace 6 rollers that the rubber had come off and 1 that the bearings were gone and ruined the axle.

I was informed that the rollers and seals have been upgraded and that I needed new axles and hence would have to install them as a set. Estimate around 3000.00 for a set (2 rollers and an axle). It seems the old style roller is available for 1500.00 but no remans anymore for the old style. When we got into it, we had lots that were bad. We installed the 3 new axles on one track and ended up with one used wheel and 2 old axles that could be used again and 4 rollers with bad rubber but insides are good. I have more sets to replace and hope to free up some more old style rollers that we could use again with the old axles. Guessing that the 3 new sets of rollers and axles we installed yesterday with labor will be around 10 -12G but haven't got the bill yet so that's just a guess.

My questions are:

1) Would there be anywhere that might have some old style rollers that have some rubber still on them for sale? There must be some guys like me that end up with some decent old rollers left over that could be used again.

2) Is there a place anywhere near Saskatchewan that could resurface them?

3) Is there any used tracks around that might still have some life left for a lighter duty ag use?

I am looking for a way to keep this old girl going for less than a total under carriage rebuild. I have 3 decent tracks and now all the rollers are working but have about 8 with bad rubber that really contributes to a rough ride on the road. I have to stay under 9mph on any road.

Thanks for any help or advise in regard to this machine. 2002 STX 450. Everything else seems good so far.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of the 3 new pairs of rollers, one runs about 30 degrees warmer than the others. no leaks on any. All the new ones run hotter than the older ones. Too bad that the rollers with the most external damage seem to run the coolest. Maybe they run hotter while breaking in. The big idlers all run really cool and they all have grease in them. Not sure what to do with those. I will run it like this until they something fails. Next thing to do is align the tracks. 3 of them run tight to the outside.

Did 500 acres of tillage with a 60' cultivator last 2 days. Runs about 50 - 60% power and about 10 -12 GPH fuel. Other than little issues like engine fault codes every hour, this thing was built for this. Will go through anything it seems.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, That would be great. I almost have all the rollers and axles upgraded to new style. Think I have 3 old style axles left.
I will be needing idlers next as I am having trouble getting some of the belts to track straight. I think it is because some of the idlers are a smaller circumstance. I should get them changed before it starts peeling rubber off the new rollers. It seems like renovating a house, once you start you cant stop.

With all good rollers the machine rides 100% better on the road. It made a world of difference....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Started with a failed bearing that damaged the shaft. Had to replace axle and both wheels to new style.

So I decided to do a set of three on one corner of the machine....

This wheel did not fail just the rubber was gone. Look at the goo that came out. We found lots with this stuff in them. No seals or bearings gone just rubber.

New axle ready to go in. Seal cup is much bigger

New roller going on. Has to go on with one quick push so seal wont fall out..

Axle extension tool to get everything lined up before the new roller gets pushed on

The new ones looked so good I had to do them all...

Old quadtrac is shaping up

And I wondered why it rode rough

I replaced 18 rollers and 9 axles, seals and bearings to the new style. I was able to recover six decent rollers and 3 axles but we put new seals in them. I am still concerned with the big idlers as they have grease in them but they seem fine for now so I will top them up with gear oil and hope for the best for now.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
you are installing the seals wrong from what I can see unless your quadtrac is dirrfernt to ours the blue seals are supposed to go on at the same time as the wheel so our dealer told us but we have an 2002 quad with same sorta hours but never been told to update the axels they run same as the new ones so they say

we put clear caps on a few years ago cash well spent which oil did you put in we put in 85 140 works way nicer

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to the seal manufacturers the duo-cone or floating seal is a metal to metal seal of this size, requires #30 weight oil to lubricate them and 50 for the big ones, although you saw what come out of the old ones and who knows how long they worked this way. half the seal is installed in the wheel (not very securely, I might add as they can fall out easily when installing, this happened a few times. The other half pushes into the axle cup, keeping them both very clean through out the procedure. Not even supposed to touch them with you fingers. Then apply some oil to the face of the seal before assembly as they are lubricated with oil to slow down the wear. They are slightly beveled and as they wear there is always a small contact area where they seal in the oil. They have a long history in severe service in undercarriages and these are supposed to be the latest and greatest. There is lots of info on this type of seal on a search. I think they were designed by Cat. I have read so much on these lately I forget lots of it.

The price of an old style wheel (1500.00) was so high at the local dealership it was the same price to upgrade the axle. They don't offer the reman for the old style wheel anymore either so almost forced to upgrade to the new style. Here is a price breakdown from the bill. Brace yourself..

41.63 Bearing 4 per axle
803.40 Wheel 2 per axle -24 per machine
427.90 Axle 12 per machine
11.20 bolt 2 per axle - Longer than the old ones
76.19 seal cup 2 per axle
286.00 new style seal 2 per axle
and some other small stuff as well, some u-bolts, washers, oil, clear caps

Just 1 axle with 2 wheels upgrade is almost right on 3000 bucks.

There is also a break in procedure for the seals, like 10 minutes at 6mph then 10 minutes at 10 or 12. I just forget now.

The bill when we are done is well over 30g but from what I can see this is the heart of the machine. This machine now travels down the road wide open quite smoothly. It is a different machine. On the old wheels I wouldn't go more than 8mph and it would shake apart. Even when I only had a couple of wheels with poor rubber on them it was rough as ****. I honestly think a lot of the rollers were still original or at least were very old.

I still hope to add a cab suspension but it is pretty nice right now compared to what it was. Machine is closing in on 8000 hrs.

Tracks are about 50% and I think a new track is around 7 or 8000 at the dealership for the ag track so I hope these last quite a while yet. My neighbor puts on scraper tracks and I think they are over 10. I think you can find cheaper tracks although used ones seem hard to find.

I remember as a young guy my father bought a brand new Versatile 800 in 76. The neighbors all thought he was nuts. people came for miles to watch the machine. He would tell them in the future all farms will use 4 wheel drive tractors and he was right and I think now that this is the next step. These are incredible machines!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you look at the picture of the tractor you can see that the big idlers don't even touch the floor. This hit home when pulling a cord or air hose around the machine. It would go right under the track at the big idlers. So the ride of the machine is totally dependent on the condition of the rubber on these little rollers and they must spin pretty fast down the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your tracks look better than 50% to me, but I'm not there obviously. I've been told the Goodyear tracks are cheaper, but no good for a quad. If you are pulling hard/spinning the lugs will tear out of them. I guess Camoplast is the way to go.

You're killing me with calling yours an "old quad." Mine is a 99. I love it though, traction and pulling power is incredible. I don't like it for scraping though, I prefer tires with my scraper.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice looking units!

Sometimes I think they are better with less electronics. Scares me a bit if you have to hook up a lap top to diagnose problems. Same reason I keep the old 1688s. I can still fix them. The dealers look after the guys with warranty first. We are very much on our own. I enjoy the shop work for the most part, as long as it's not while I should be using the machine. Although our local Case IH service has been very good.

I guess I should rephrase that to a "high hour quad" as it is my newest tractor. I hope the tracks hold up. The damage seems to be more on the inside as the outside if they don't track straight. I am just starting to fight with that. I think the roller rubber damage starts on the inside if the lugs are hard pressing against them and starts tearing up the rubber.

The plow is supposed to be coming next week. Leon is coming from Yorkton to install it. Right across the province. Lots of horror stories locally about these plows on quads but they assure me that's all in the past. Sure hope so! Just have to be very gentle I think. Here's hoping for lots of snow.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Quad has about 10500 hrs on it. I've had to adjust my track alignment too, and it seems the tracks on mine don't stay perfectly in the center, and move side to side a little. Seems they stay close enough to center to not put much side pressure on the lugs/idlers. Worn out bushings on the front idler tension/pivot arm can cause the tracks to move around and not stay aligned well. I've heard thats a bigger problem on the STX tractors, compared to the older 9370/80's.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.