The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how the unload swing/unloader drive logic works on the 9870’s? I can’t get the drive to engage until the auger has swung out about half-way, but can’t understand why. There doesn’t appear to be a position sensor/switch/etc. on the machine.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
When the augur is on the the swing won't move unless you hold down on the button. So I imagine the reverse is true during the augur swing out the unloader won't engage unless manually held on. Thus ensuring no accidental engagement of either the unloader untill the augur is swung out or no swing in with the unloader on. Clear as mud?

My question for you is why would you want the unloader on in the first place when the augur is retracted? Do you back up to the truck to unload??? Must be a few dented tailboards and such if thats the case. Just kidding you lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
IF you want to change the engagement position of the auger on a 70 series..... get into the diagnostic screen on the command arm display. Go to address RCU 123 and lower the number down. Default is 50 i believe. I change mine to something like 10.
We have had a couple of machines that would either not unload unless almost all the way out. Or they would disengage if you swung the auger back slightly.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Theory of Operation
To engage the unloading auger, the following must be true:

Engine RUNNING
Combine is in FIELD mode
Operator is in seat
The unloading auger engage system allows the operator to engage the unloading auger drive. The unloading auger engage switch is a push-button switch on the multifunction control handle. An indicator light in the multifunction control handle shows the operator that the unloading auger is engaged.

If the unloading auger is swung out less than approximately 25%, the auger will remain engaged only as long as the button is pressed. If the unloading auger is swung out more than approximately 25%, the auger will engage and latch on when the button is pressed. It will remain engaged until the button is pushed again. The latch point is adjustable. (Refer to Section 240 - Electrical System - Machine Setting Addresses. )

Control unit CAB monitors the status of the auger engage switch and the seat switch. It broadcasts this information in a CAN Bus message. Control unit RCU reads this message and engages the auger engage solenoid.

The mechanical drive for the unloading auger is engaged by the auger engage solenoid valve located on the pressure regulator valve on the engine gearcase. For hydraulic operation of the unloading auger engage system see Section 275 - Main Gearcase System – Unloading Auger Drive Diagnostics .

NOTE:
When the unloading auger system is engaged, a CAN Bus message is sent to the Engine Control Unit to allow power boost if the combine is power limited. This horsepower boost will minimize the effect of the additional unloading auger system load on the combine performance.

RCU 123 _ _ _ _ _ n n n DISPLAY/MODIFY: Unloading auger
position where engagement latches ON.

Range = 0-100

0 = fully retracted

100 = fully swung out

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also, changing your swing in and swing out times can have a affect on the point that the unload auger will engage. Tom is correct on the controller counting from 0 to 100, and the other side of the question gets even more interesting, her we go, have any 50 series through 70 series operators ever have the folowing happen??unload auger in the transport positon, light on
then you swing out the auger and the light goes out and the auger won't engage????the system is based on time, and hyd. flow, I'e factory swing times are based on 16 seconds out and 18 seconds in, these times are adjustable, through various addresses, what causes the auger too come out of sequence? engine not running full throttle which causes decreased oil flow, or a operator that uses manual in or manual out too top off trucks ,carts etc. this results in decreased seconds too swing in and out the auger. example, auger out time 16 seconds, operator toggles manual control too top off a trailer for 2 seconds, now instead of 18 seconds to retact we only get 16 seconds , which can result in a auger not fully retracted, how does the sequence get messed up, usuallya operator reacts, and hits the auto in button , now the combine thinks the auger is in the opposite postion, and the light and the engage are opposite.How do we keep it simple????remember this , on 9500-9610 98 years deere used a position switch, 99 and newer use a time based module or controller,when you see the functions reversed on the 50-70series, do the following, manually swing the auger in, first detent of swing switch, when auger is home depress the auto in switch twice back too back, this will rest the count for auger swing and will reset the latch point for engagement, hope this helps. deerefever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts