The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much upkeep is required on a 1020 flex equipped with a 1.5" setup? From the other posts I have read, it seems the overwhelming consensus is that the 3" are way easier to maintain, which brings me to my question. What all is involved in keeping a 1.5" in shape? Is it a daily ritual for an hour, or more like 10 min, or is it just an adjustment here or there? I have an opportunity to get a 30' head with 1.5", I am on flat ground, all stones have been field rolled after seeding. I just want to know what I am getting into if I go this way.

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's a little info from my experience. If you have clean fields without and large weeds like giant ragweed you can cut beans with it. The weed I mentioned will cause the sections after a while to bent up on the front and will not cut decent any more. The maintaince on a 1.5" cutting system will need a daily looking at each morning for bent up sections. I still see these 1.5" cuttings on heads at the local dealer's lot, so they are still being used. I have the IH 3" and believe it is less maintaince each day. The most maintaince is the Crary with the little finger in the middle. WHY? The longer finger of the rock gaurd will break off the top when I believe little stones get in between the section and that space and bang the top is GONE!!! Their guards are more expensive. I hear the SCH Cutting system is the best and you need to take your time to install this so ever guard is timed correctly and it will last a long time. H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts