The Combine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pickup about 500 acres of wheat to custom harvest and hopefully more in the future. I Been looking to get into this for awhile just finally have a good chance to get a start. I have been looking at both n7, n6 and r70, r60 and they are in my price range. Theres alot on what to look for on the N's but not alot on the early R's. So what are some of the problem areas i know they were air-cooled motors that everyone seems to stay away from but what were the main issues that i need to look for when buying one and also the any upgrades you would do right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The R's are a more refined machine with many improvements over the N. I loved the Deutz, reliable, kept cool and sipped fuel. If you are a person who just turns the key and drives then maybe go water cooled. The Duetz is super reliable but you need to keep an eye on the condition of the fan and oil leaks etc and keep it clean ,but a fan in good condition will do a good job of that. They are very expensive to fix. Get a Duetz person to look at it. No doubt someone will disagree with me . My only dislike with the Duetz was that the engine bay gets heaps more dust in it than a water cooled.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd skip and go to a r-x2 series machines. Their price is starting to come down to a reasonable level and they are a better, more refined machine. There was a r62 listed in North Dakota with a cummins and rwa for 18k.... Depending on condition that is a steal on a good capacity machine. I've had a n5, r7, r60, 2 r72's (deutz and cummins), and an r76. There has been much less issues with the 2 series and newer machines, oh and a much nicer cab to sit in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was new to Gleaner rotary last year when I sold my 1660 and bought an R62, I was so impressed by it that I bought an R70 a couple months ago for a backup machine in my custom harvest. They both have the same Deutz engine and as long as you keep it clean like silverrod said although I haven't run the R70 yet other than to drive it around the lot I can agree with 1156 too about the cab

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. From what you said the r70 seems like it could be a good machine for the time being then. The r62 Is just to far out of my price range for this year. I've got no problem taking a little extra time to keep equipment in the field so hopefully I can keep it running thanks again

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We have an R7 (first year of R series, basically an R70 with the last of the liquid cooled N7 motors) and really like it.

A friend has a 5000 hour R70 and has great luck with it, he only uses it for corn. it starts unassisted down to about 15 degrees, no ether, no intake heater, no nothing, not even any jumpers on the batteries. if you keep it clean and cool, the Deutz will be a great motor. it is good on fuel, as he can go quite a few shorter days before needing fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amen Silverrod for supporting the air cooled design!!! Operators who monitor their equipment and do proper maintenance love these engines. The owners that think letting their investment sit outside all year long and think maintenance only involves adding fuel to the tank most likely dislike them. Go figure.

·
Registered
298 Posts
GMguy: I have an R7 as well. Needs a new cage and cylinder. Real clean otherwise. In your view is it worth refurbishing. I'm in the middle of doing a complete refurb on my L2 (including a PFP cylinder and N5 engine) and not sure I'm up to a rebuild of the R7. Appreciate any thoughts you have.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used to run 3 xR72s and one R70 ALL Deutz powered. I had only minor problems with the engines in about 8000 hours of use. e.g. My "70" needed a new cooling fan once. One of the "72s" got a new governor and thats it. They start instantly without ether and are "fuel sippers". If u are interested I have an R72 and an R70 to sell, both Deutz both very reliable.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Medicineman, been watching sell prices on R72's. Would you mind posting your sell price, year, hours and location.
Thanks, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
180 Posts
i know they were air-cooled motors that everyone seems to stay away from

They do need to be kept clean and leak free more so than a liquid cooled engine, but properly maintained they are fantastic power plants. The 779ci (12.8L) Deutz BF8L513 V8 is a very nasty torque monster. Everyone in my area who has properly cared for one and then traded it off for a newer machine with an inline 6cyl regretted it every time they started up a hill with a full bin or got into viney green stem soybeans for a year or two. There is no replacement for displacement.

The R's are a more refined machine with many improvements over the N. I loved the Deutz, reliable, kept cool and sipped fuel. If you are a person who just turns the key and drives then maybe go water cooled. The Duetz is super reliable but you need to keep an eye on the condition of the fan and oil leaks etc and keep it clean ,but a fan in good condition will do a good job of that. They are very expensive to fix. Get a Duetz person to look at it. No doubt someone will disagree with me . My only dislike with the Duetz was that the engine bay gets heaps more dust in it than a water cooled.

+1 to what he said with the caveat that they are expensive to fix if you have issues in the bottom end. Troubles up top are very easy to remedy as each cylinder can be overhauled individually.

A stock N series combine is not something I would recommend unless you love to modify and tinker. They are first generation rotary's and need substantial modification to get them to perform.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts