The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bearings in the rollers on our Quonset doors have finally all fell apart and it is painful to open. I've contacted southwest steel in Moose Jaw and they were going to come out and replace them... 4 weeks ago. I guess they don't need my business because they don't return/answer calls. Does anyone know where a guy could find 4 new rollers in Saskatchewan? Or anywhere else for that matter? The Co-op carries them but they are lightweight and wouldn't hold up.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We have a few rolling doors here at the dairy, I will check and see what everyone knows about them. There is definitely no comparison between those two examples!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I think this might be another one of the common items that have "de-evolved" with time and that the heavy duty ones we used to see years ago are now replaced with Chinese crap. You may want to look into switching over to Cannonball, if you go with the actual Cannonball wagons, they have half balls for wheels in a round track, thats the top of the line stuff, however you would need to change your track as well. They do make replacement wagons for the square style as well. I'd check with Coop, they might be able to order them even though they don't stock them.

Cannonball - post frame, commercial and metal building products

Well I see someone beat me to it while I was finding the link and typing lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the links guys, I'll look into it for sure! And yeah, unfortunately the cheap Chinese crap is becoming the new norm.

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
Let us know how they hold up.

It will be a joyous day when my quonset ends up in a hole! Boy I hate those doors and cleaning snow out from behind the track, miss one melt and you are chipping ice with a prybar...:mad:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Get a Bi-Fold door, and you won't have to worry about those parts again.. We just replaced our Quonset sliding doors this summer with a bi-fold and was worth every penny and you gain a couple more feet. Don't miss sliding those doors or ice chipping..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Get a Bi-Fold door, and you won't have to worry about those parts again.. We just replaced our Quonset sliding doors this summer with a bi-fold and was worth every penny and you gain a couple more feet. Don't miss sliding those doors or ice chipping..
Did the same thing a number of years ago. What a joy not to have to fight with those sliding doors!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told that in order to put in a overhead or bi fold door you have to lose either height or width of the door. Did you end up with a much smaller entrance?

·
Premium Member
8,223 Posts
I was told that in order to put in a overhead or bi fold door you have to lose either height or width of the door. Did you end up with a much smaller entrance?
I think the corners just stick past the curvature of the building. It would require some sort of frame. I put a Diamond bi-fold door on my shop that came with it's own steel I-beam frame. Steel not ideal for a heated building I have since found out but would work good for cold storage.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Powerlift top hinge doors have a frame that can go completely on the outside of a building. I don't know if they are available in Canada.

For door rollers I go to the local lumber yard. His hardware line is Stanley Hardware. Google shows they even have a Canadian web site. They have several styles and weight capacities of trucks and track.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not at all, same width and gained 2-3ft in height. It's an I-beam frame like SWMan mentioned. The frame is about 2ft taller than the Quonset, can park anything in there now as tall as your roof. Very slick and smooth. Boys had it up and running in a day and a half. Check out www.diamonddoors.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts