The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wish I would have done it earlier ..but after being totally wiped out the money and positive thinking we're kinda on empty . I rent most my storage but if everything keeps going good ,witch it probable not do..... I will not have enough storage my main barley contract can not take any until October ... I know I am to late for this year . So I started thinking about my storage options...bins or a Quonset on 2 to4 foot stem wall. I have talked to several salesmen... So far the only thing that they can tell me I'd ( they all have the same story) someone just canceled an order,and they allready have it built so they can save me .......
I asked everyone if they know the bu storage capacity .not one of them has any idea.... I was thinking of going 60 wide by 100 to 120 long. 18 or 20 high on a 2 to 4 foot stem wall to make cleaning grain up Easy,..not sure if 60 is to wide we're the grain will peak out before it builds up on sides or would 50 wide work better then just go longer I do not want to climbing a grain pile and directing a spout to try to get enough crammed in there ...been there done that. So ant one have any experience with Approx small grain storage capacity in a Quonset ? I know they are a pain to fill and empty com paired to a bin . I usually have at least 50% delivered by Christmas . I have all kinds of ideas what I could do with that extra space of another shed.....

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bags are not real cheap equipment not cheap ...deer ,antelope ***** I would rather sink my money in a building that I could use year around.. A lot of guys use bags for bagging hay locally I know of no one using them for grain ....probably make thAt easy to maybe go that way ...if I had high moisture problem I would definitely think about them I think you can store higher moisture ?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have one that was built for grain storage. If I remember right it's about 50' x 120'. I think it was supposed to hold 60,000 bushels on a slab with grain no more than 6 ' up the walls and both ends. We put it on a 2' grade beam with concrete piles angled outward at about 30 degrees all in one pour. I think that added about another 40,000 bushels for around 100,000. I only used it once for grain 28 years ago. I might have to use it again, it looks like I'm going to outlive all of my old cows, and I'm not crazy about raising some new ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts