The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am planning on building a 50x70x14 pole shed with a 12 x35ft overhang half way down one side for keeping hay in. 1/2 the shed will be horse barn, other half storage. I got a quote including 3 -12x12 overhead doors with openers, 2 man doors, setup included, building obviously included, for $77,500 + $27,000 for R40 roof, and R28 walls. total of $104,000. That's 29$/sqft,:confused: and no concrete yet, Does seem like a lot, I have never built one before but it just seems way out of line from what I have been reading on multiple threads here. Waiting on a couple more quotes for steel buildings.

Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha but you would be too smart to pour your money into grain farming anyway. Besides every grain farmers dream is to kick the hassle and train horses. So you really have it made.
Sitting in the tractor and combine the last few years for a friend while I was changing careers was pretty good, had been a long time since I left the farm. Its better than sitting in the dessert in Iraq for 6 months a year...like I do now

·
Registered
654 Posts
probably not a bad price, labor is the killer. i framed houses in regina for 20 years and the average frameing bill was close to 5 to 7 grand, now its closer to 20 or 30 grand. if i went back i would average 3 grand a day, but i have way to many sore bones.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Jake you may want to rethink the height of the wall at 14 feet. With a 14 foot wall your overhead doors will be 12 feet high. If this is going to be used to house farm machinery you will want doors a minimum of 16 feet high. We currently have 14 ft high door from 30 years ago and they are way to low for modern equiptment. You want your door 1-2 feet above the tallest thing you got. Moving stuff in a inch below the door is no good.

·
Registered
654 Posts
well the last house i did, i charged a hundred dollars an hour, 1400 square foot with a wood basement and double garage, the final bill was 10 grand, the next best price was 32 grand. it was for a young guy i know so i gave him a deal. i framed a lot of houses in the early 90's for a buck a square foot and was happy to have the work. but a thousand houses latter i think someone younger can have a crack at it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jake you may want to rethink the height of the wall at 14 feet. With a 14 foot wall your overhead doors will be 12 feet high. If this is going to be used to house farm machinery you will want doors a minimum of 16 feet high. We currently have 14 ft high door from 30 years ago and they are way to low for modern equiptment. You want your door 1-2 feet above the tallest thing you got. Moving stuff in a inch below the door is no good.
Southern, its just for horses and my 2032R tractor/implements...no big stuff

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.