The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Poster - I have browsed this site several times over the last couple of years and joined today.
I have few questions that I hope you guys can help out on, in looking at a used machine what would you look at on a R-50 to determine its operating condition, are there any areas of concern? Was this series a problem child? Is a person better off spending more and going with a 52 series?
I am a lifelong Massey guy with no rotary experience!
Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
42's - 52's are much nicer cabs- otherwise bout the same. Early 40-50's had grain tbles with their own hyd system 89 1/2 models had combine furnished reel drives. Heads are not that easy to interchange but doable - check throat chains, cylinder bars, helicals, augers, clean grain augers, chains and sprockets. Bin loader 'bubbleup' items are high wear items. If it is a Deutz powered machine have someone crank and listen for a popping sound which indicates it has been hot and has a blow fire ring. IF it has a chopper climb up in the dischrge chute after dropping spreader and take a good look with flashlite. Also little things like shoe seals and fan duct cracks on the r50 and older R52's . Go to www.harvesting.com/combine/gleaner/ and check out hypermods for a bunch of performance enhancing modifications.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased an 89 R-50. Looks like a good low hour machine but I need to get a flex head for it. I found a nice 22 ft flex off of an N7 and I asked the ac dealer and they said it would work. Well I noticed differently once it was in my yard. What can I do to make this head work and what heads go on this and with what modifications? Any help is greatly appreciate as we will need to have her going in less than 3 weeks. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have an an 89 R50 an love it. I also have an N7 and my heads inner change, however I have to put a plate in the head that is normally on the N7 as the bigger machines have a larger throat. The R50 in my opinion was in no way a problem child series, but the first in a new generation of rotaries. My R50 requires much less maintenance than my N7, even though it has a few more hours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 1990 R-60 (very similar to the 50) and it is a great machine. Use to have a Massey 750 and it was nothing compared to a Gleaner. Gleaners are a thousand times easier to work on! You won't be disappointed with a Silver machine!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts