The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 R-72, we had our dealer add lateral tilt and change to 4 strand feeder chain last year. It sounds like something is getting beat up inside the feeder house. Running the front blocks in corn position (we don't harvest corn) when cutting wheat, when the blocks are in wheat position the noise is horrible. Dealer advised us to cut the blocks on the corn side to lower front drum so it does not hit the front support on the feederhouse? The square tube does not seem to be that worn. 8" front feed drum. It also does not feed very well, we did not try it in barley but with the way it fed in wheat we dont think it will feed barley with out plugging. Any ideas are geatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts
I'll take a wack at this even though we have very few lateral tilt equiped machines. 1998 and newer machines have a different setup and are the only ones I have seen in person. I did have alot of conversation with a guy with a 1997 or prior machine many years ago on the old combine site. I don't know if your dealer installed a Gleaner system or some aftermarket that may be out there. It don't matter for what I will suggest. First you should set drum stops so chain will just clear the floor when empty. Then I would suggest you prop the drum up and see it clears upper square tube by approx 1/4". I would hope this would give you 2" plus inches between bottom of slat and floor. If needed you can modify drum stop to get these clearances but may not get you the clearance under chain to floor. Of course you wouldn't want any interferance with tilting parts when activated. I believe the 8" drum is going to severly limit the float of drum thus the clearance under drum when flowing straw. I believe the 7" may even limit float more than you want especially when it has W-rings on it. The guy that I helped to get this system working to full potential custom fabricated a 6" drum with out W-rings. This gave him the clearances needed. You also want the chain brought forward as far as posible but not beyond the strippers behind header auger that prevent straw from getting behind feeder slats. I'm not sure of the setups of some draper heads so if you have one of these you need to be sure it is setup properly to deliver straw to feed chain (you might tell us what you run for header). Floor must be smooth between header and feeder. Be sure you have the feeder shocks (don't believe all the '97s had these from factory but I believe the company campaigned to have them added to the '97s and '96's). Hopefully this is enough to get you on the right track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
if they didn't change both chains make sure they aren't hitting each other. make sure the sprockets are lined up if there is one 180 degrees off that will be off enough to make the chain jump on the sprocket,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nddan that gives us a great start! Just looking at it today I think the chain is over an inch too far back. It is the gleaner setup for lateral tilt and it has the shocks. When we finish the rapeseed we will pull the header off and make some of the adjustments. I believe a 7000 series rigid and a 300 series flex ( which is a whole can of worms...) We had both chains changed so that should not be an issue. We will check out the sprockets and see what we have going on.
Thanks for the help
Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
check for bolt in wear strips in the upper throat - when at full capacity the chain would emit a machine gun sound as the 557 links hit them. Around that time I think they could be removed by going through the square tube at the rear of throat. Held in by two 3/8" bolts. IF and only if they are in there they will not line up with the new 4 strand. We removed several and had no ill results other that some slight wear on the support tube underside. Again this is from memory. I don't think we ever found the part #'s for what we removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, time to start working on the combine again...we replaced the slip clutch on the feeder house during harvest and it started feeding much better and then we replaced the strippers on the header and that helped a little bit too, still though it did not feed as well as the N-6. thanks for the ideas...now to tear into it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
we had a 97 62 and from time to time it would make a really bad racket in the feeder house . come to find out that the front chain would jump a tooth on the upper feed shaft. the the two chains would hit. it real easy to fix just tape a 3/4 by 2 bolt to chain and role it over by hand, it will jump chain a link and put her back in time with rear chain!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
I use a bit of rag and jam it in the jumped sprocket and then reverse. Getting plenty of practice in down crops. I need to do the floor mods on front feederhouse. Jumped all 3 sprockets Saturday amd had to gas chains in the end.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top