The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a early r52 that has a front accelerator bearing out. I have read the manual, which says to take the plate off. The question I have is, it says to take the lugs off to get the shaft out. Why do you have to do that?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don't know but the shafts are not very heavy without the lugs. Also they may be thinking that with Loctite on the shaft to bearing area that a torch will be used to remove the bearing? Don't know about the 2 series but on my new 3ries 3 1985 N 6 the entire assembly comes out and goes in in one assembled piece. Replacing my lug bars next week with stainless lug bars from PFP in north Dakota. The new lug bars are going to be bolted in bolts, washers, nuts to the shafts prior to reinstall in combine. All 4 of my shaft bearings feel as new and I don't think they are very old.
Good luck, Dwight E. Lambert, Albany, Oregon

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Dwight use new good quality bearings. Use those 2nd hand bearings else where
x2, I always replace bearings if I have gone that far into a machine. Bearings and a little bit of time are cheap, unharvested crop because of a 13$ bearing is not. If the shaft is either on sawhorses or on my workbench its getting new bearings no matter what shape they are in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We replace the drive bearing (one with the double belt pulley also driving the fan) at least every year. It will just not stay in our machine. An apparent problem that was corrected (so I have been told) in the later (post 1995) machines. I have tried everything to stop it from going out. Found after three fires to just change it at the start of the year with the best quality bearing money can buy and then we have peace of mind...still carry the extinguisher in the cab and open the window every time going down wind to smell for it. I DO NOT LIKE FIRES IN MY COMBINE!

No need to take the lugs off or the shafts out. I have never had the shafts out of mine in over 20 years and replaced all the bearings at least once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.