The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the middle of harvesting milo (grain sorghum) this is the first year with the R-62. My dad runs the combine and i cant get him to go any faster then 2.7 mph or so. We are running a 27 ft head with milo makeing 60 to 70.

What speed should we be able to go and still get a good sample.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is your rotor enclosed or open? We had an R70 with an open rotor with a 30' & could only go about that speed in 60 to 70 milo. The shoe could have gone faster but it would loose it over rotor. Have a R75 now with a 36' draper & CDF rotor & could go 2.8 mph in 110 bu milo. I think we could have gone faster but I didn't want to take the time to tinker with things. I didn't even take the filler bars out from wheat harvest. Seems like you should be able to go between 3.5 & 4 at least. I see that you are by Paradise, Ks. We are about 12 miles south of Victoria. Is your milo all pretty good?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have the cdf rotor so yes its enclosed. Concave set at 4 1/2, speed is around 500. Concave is pretty open. The engine isn't even feeling what were running, only pull down a few rpm.

There is spots that are pretty good. Had a 30 acre patch that made 68, about 1/3 of the field goes down a side hill and into a bottom. Apparantly that early frost in september got to it because there was hardly anything in that 1/3. so the rest would have been pushing 100.

We had virtually no rain from middle of july through august and every thing shut down, so alot of it never got fully matured. Alot of milo in our area never got planted till right before wheat harvest, and what got planted earlier burned up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You should be able to push it faster than that, without knowing conditions I would say you should be in the 4-5 MPH range.

What is you limit to speed, are you throwing anything over the back?

We push our R62 with an 8 row JD 853A row head in 90-100 bushel/acre at 5-7 mph depending on how far the head is out of the leaves. Eating leaves really kills productivity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.