The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my leased R65 yesterday morning. I get into it to move it to a different spot in the yard and the a/c isnt functional. I immediately called the dealer and said it was working before it left, the truck driver even said it worked when he loaded it up. To make a long story short ive checked the radiator in engine bay and i can see right through it. THe clutch kicks in on the a/c pump and the vents are wide open in the cab. I start cuttin in 10 days-2 weeks and i have to get this sorted out, well this and my straw spreader mod'n.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Re: R65 A/C

I am assuming this machine is a few years old being a 5 series and one possability to check out is to see if the air filter below the cab where the air conditioning, heating unit and fan are located. If the filter appears ok check the filter on the top right side of the cab. If both filters are ok it is probably a plugged up evaporator coil. They get moldy and it is kind of like a carpet of felt like fibers that block air flow. It is a big job to disassemble the unit and lower the evaporator coil down and the heater coil as well. Did my 75 last year and you couldn't believe the amount of crud in those fins. Soaked the coils in soapy water to loosen the dirt and mold and washed with garden hose nozzle to prevent fin damage. One word of caution is assuming your machine has the updated control with the cooling control knob to the left and back of your operator seat, there is a thin temp probe that will be inserted in the evaporator fins. When you reinstall the evaporator, this probe has to be reinserted in the fins. There should be a small hole drilled in the cab floor that I think you can easily get to through the opening under the training seat. Not sure what serial number machines needed this update but you might check with your dealer on this. It will cool adequately when everything is clean but has no extra reserve. If you have fan trouble or refrigerant issues those are seperate topics. good luck

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, i do not have the updated controls. They are up above on the instrument panel. I went back on the engine and closed the heater control on the engine, i pulled the filter on top of the feederhouse, and its brand new. I just hope the dealer didnt skimp on me and not clean out the evaporator coil.

·
Registered
212 Posts

It would sure be good if NDan or Tbran would enter this discussion as they have vast experience. Does your fan operate and do you have good airflow from the vents on the cab post corners? Have you checked to see if the refrigerant return hose coming from the hvac unit under the cab is cold? If it is not then it must be a refrigerant issue most likely low. If airflow is weak but fan is running full speed it is probably debris in the evaporator coil and heater coil. Most places will let this go if they can as the time to clean this area is too high and time is money. One final thought, you stated you do not have the updated temp control. Did you check to see if your machine serial number falls within the group that needed this update? My local gleaner tech is very good and said that the original system was very poor performing and without the update it was unlikely to give you the cooling results that you should expect. Your dealer should rectify this problem. Don't give up, keep up the pressure.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

another strike against me is that it is a leased unit. They get the machine back in 30-45 days my serial# is HM62166

·
Registered
33 Posts

the dealer should come out and see if there is a problem, and if so should fix it a plugged evap core would not have worked when it got there and it would not have worked in the shop I think that the dealer should take care of you and your problems reguardless of if everyone there said it worked before it left. I knw that our dealership would. Customer is always right and if not then maybe you should return the machine. Thats not very good customer service on their part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts