The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone took their chopper off and replaced with impeller? Were in Southern KY and residue is not a issue for us and I had a impeller on R52 and had these fine cut choppers on R75 and R66 and id rather have my impeller back. Just seeing if anyone has done it and thoughts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did throw fine cut chopper drum into scrap steel trailer and replaced with old reliable, the original standard chopper. Got tired of needing new fine cut blades every year and their outrageous price to replace. Think standard chopper is best balance of pulling residue away from rotor discharge, reliability, and lower cost of ownership. Does require smaller drive sheave if you do consider changing out. Has been a pleasure to deal with compared to fine cut. Always ran knives retracted on fine cut anyway and can't tell much difference in job. Now don't use any knives and have super series floor in discharge.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Replaced chopper with impeller mainly because chopper was causing us to have to clean or replace air filters part way through the day when cutting wheat. With impeller, only have to clean filter during morning service. A lot of times only clean filter every other day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer charges $38.50 per blade, plus you want new hardware. Easy to change prob an hour job for all of them. I very much dislike the fine cut chopper. Expensive to maintain, and if its not perfectly balanced then be ready those chopper bearings are not fun to work on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.