The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hopefully going to try out my R7 in some oats tomorrow afternoon. Anyone have any idea what I should do for settings? It has a sunnybrook gen 1 rotor, steep double stacked helicals on thresher side and not much else. Also,will the rigid airfoil Chaffee do me any good in oats or should I just switch it back to the standard one? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope it goes well for you. My first day with a Gleaner was in oats. That was with an R70, which had a sunnybrook Gen 1 and stacked regular helicals and not much else! It impressed me then and it's still a great combine, especially when you consider the minimal investment. What really surprised me was the tiny little row of ground up straw that came out of the discharge. I suspect that having steep helicals, at least on the thresher will help with that. Do you have a manual? I just used the settings for oats from there. This combine will have a large appetite. My advice is to feed it accordingly. Are you straight cutting or picking up a swath?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would try the airfoil chaffer, mainly because it's in there and the way you learn is to try things. I have an adjustable airfoil for my R72 but verdict is still out. One thing for sure: a chaffer and sieve won't solve issues that have to do with feeding, threshing and separating.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! That's kind of interesting. Do have a manual, so I'll set it up that way I guess. I'll be picking up a 22ft swath, so I think I'll need to move along pretty quickly. Think I'm going to bring the standard sieve to the field just in case. Anyone know what to set the fan to on a non adjustable sieve? I've heard full open?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the oats are nearly off, and I'm not ready to burn my R7 haha! Went very well actually, only thing that gave me grief was my tailings sensor, but I'm pretty sure it was a loose wire. Gave a nice clean sample, and not much if any rotor loss. Liked the airfoil too, just adjust the sieve and go!

Pretty sure there is plenty of room for improvement on thru-put tho, my dad was working in our L3, and I was going a bit faster than him, but just a bit, maybe 1mph. Seemed a little odd too, it would gobble up a massive thick windrow with ease at times, and others would take in a small bit and growl and bark before working through it. I think new bars, helicals and feederchains would help with that.

And then when I went to the barn, our trucker who was loading his trains (and who is no stranger to combines I might add) asked my dad if he could take it for a round. He went a few hundred feet and plugged the rotor solid. So, I also go a lesson on how to unplug these tonight also. Not something one wants to do on a daily basis. But....beans are next, so we'll see how it performs in them next!

·
Registered
220 Posts
The tailings return could just be a wire, but be careful. We have had trouble with tailings returns on our 72's. If we get into green stuff we have to set the diverter up top to send it to the rotor, the incline it makes to go to the rolls is not steep enough to account for sticky material, and tends to plug in those conditions. It gets stuck up top on the diverter plate. And never set it in between rotor and rolls, that's a recipe for plugging it as well. We got one plugged going around sloughs so bad that it took us days to unplug, had to remove the chain, and it bent stuff up at the bottom bad enough we eventually had to put on a whole new assembly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I ended up switched the wires between my clean grain and tailings elevators and the alarms stopped so pretty sure it was just the wire. Getting it unplugged was a another pain all together-eventually got it but toasted my impeller belt in the process

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
what kind of beans? edibles, or soys? Not that I have any experience with either. :)

Dad has alot of knowledge on Gleaner conventionals in beans, but none whatsoever on the Rotaries.

As far as the overfuel, that seems to be normal. I personally dont like it, but I think its a bosch trick for improved starting. IIRC it involves magnets on the governor, and once it breaks loose, it idles back down. same crap was on JD tractors with the bosch pump.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My beans are all soy. I'm going to try the R7 in it anyway, worst thing that happens is I plug it (again) and have to do it all with the L3. Just don't know if my airfoil chaffer will be doing be any favours or not.

From everything I've read, the high rev start seems to be normal on these things. Dads convinced it's got a problem, but now I can show him otherwise. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Bosch pumps have a magnet that pulls rack to full fuel for starting.The rev up is normal.If you have a manual shut off,you can hold fuel in "off" while cranking then ease the fuel on.Millions of engines have run for thousands of hrs with that condition so it must not be that hard on things.
My A pump has the magnet removed and it still does it to some degree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.