The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about the single belt drive for the chopper. Our straw is going to be very heavy this fall and I was wondering if the single belt will handle that chopper with the high speed pulleys. I am planning on running up to 400hp on the M11, so the combine should have fairly good capacity. I was thinking it might be necessary to to put double pulleys and move the tin out 1" so there would be clearance for 2 belts. Would this be help? Or am I anticipating a problem that probably won't happen.

·
Registered
405 Posts
We have never had a problem with the chopper drive in heavy green conditions but of course "our" conditions probably be nicer than fall in Canada. I have many fond memories of harvesting in Saskatchewan but servicing and running combines in snow and ice is not amonst the fond ones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ausfarmer thats good to know. I have only had the combine for one season and had no trouble with the belts last year, but I did notice the chopper drive pulley had the paint melted of it by the previous owner. so I thought there might an issue there. And yes I hope we don't have to combine in the snow!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Double up the chopper drive belt???then you better double up the seperator driver belt on the other side as well !!!!! and then you'll twist off the accelerator roll shaft !! If you anticipate rough going, install a NEW chopper belt before season and make sure your hammers are good and sharp and if you can run the concave retracted that would probably help as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the paint is melted off of the pulley, you may want to replace not only the belt but the pulley as well. Sounds like it was plugged and slipped at one time and you may have excess wear on the pulley on one spot of the whole thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts