The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are wondering if anyone knows if the ECM off an R72 M11 is able to be just put on the engine of an R75 M11 without being re programmed? I have had an ECM failure and the new price from Cummins is a bit rude!!:eek: Are thinking of finding a ECM off a wrecker. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have access to both engines? If so, the ECM will have an ECM CODE # on a data plate. I can't remember if it's on the front side or on the back in which it has to be removed to be seen. If they match I'd ASSUME that it would work. A call to your regional Cummins would be in order to verify. FWIW my M11 R72 ECM code is A02027.00 which I was told is not used in many other Cummins applications. Wonder if all Gleaner M11 codes are the the same??? Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went through this on an R72. Previous poster is right. You need both the same part# and the same code#. If you have the same part # and not the same code # the ECM can be programmed for the correct code for a few hundred dollars.

Be careful, though. I had Cummins out telling me it's a bad ECM, and I luckily have 2 R72's with the same ECM. I swapped them and there was no difference in behavior, so it ruled the ECM out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Semis are much more common, the rebuilders do those a lot and that's the way to go for them. On my 72 ECM most rebuilders didn't want to touch it, and the ones that would take it said "we'll give it a try". You might have better luck on a 75, though. The 72 engine was an old PT pump (they call it a centry pump system) driven by a very basic ECM. These were used in a few ag and marine applications. A rebuild was going to be around $1500, brand new was about $4,000 - but the rebuild may not work, of course. They change some components and hope it works, and the warranty is only as good as the place doing the work. Again, in my case it wasn't even the ECM that was bad, so if you could get Cummins to agree to put a new one on and give you a refund if it doesn't work that'd be the way to go IMHO. I doubt they would do that for you, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.