The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a lot of broken cob in my samples. Corn is averaging moisture's of 21-25% and yields are running 190-240. I have a 12 row head, ground speeds are 2-2.5 mph. I was told by the dealer on the R76 to run the rotor around 450 and to tighten down the concave to keep the material moving through the machine (as I had problems with slugging and breaking a rotor belt earlier this season.) I would like to hear what others with a similar machine are running their R76's on in similar conditions.

The dealer said that the old settings that people were used to on the R72s are different than the 76's and he also said the new S series settings are different because of size changes in the rotor. Thanks in adavance

·
Registered
388 Posts
Have you tried opening the concave? Maybe you have it too tight. What about the front of it have you lowered that? Where is your separator grate set at? I would put that at 6. Take a shelled cob and fit that between a rotor bar and your concave bar and see if it fits snug in between. There also do that on the separator grate. Alot of times the cob sizes change with different varieties so thd settings kind of go out the window. Good luck.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am getting a lot of broken cob in my samples. Corn is averaging moisture's of 21-25% and yields are running 190-240. I have a 12 row head, ground speeds are 2-2.5 mph. I was told by the dealer on the R76 to run the rotor around 450 and to tighten down the concave to keep the material moving through the machine (as I had problems with slugging and breaking a rotor belt earlier this season.) I would like to hear what others with a similar machine are running their R76's on in similar conditions.

The dealer said that the old settings that people were used to on the R72s are different than the 76's and he also said the new S series settings are different because of size changes in the rotor. Thanks in adavance
I'm all ears same thing with 66, just can't find the sweet spot. The aggravating thing is that it don't seem to matter if your tight or wide open and slow or fast. I'm currently at 300 rpm and .9 concave and have rotor loss, cracked corn and cobs pieces in the bin. Like I said I'm all ears.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I liked cylinder around 400, concave .60-.70 air-6 both screens almost wide open. My moister was 16-18% , good sample with little loss. Sounds like your concave is a little to wide. I like to run rotor as fast as possible without much cracking.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Have you gone and verified the measurement thats reading out on the EIN with what a tape measure says? Biggest problem and most occurring problem that happens when you have excessive cobs in the sample is the concave hasn't been leveled properly. I take a tape measure across the whole width of the cylinder to confirm that its level. I take a few cobs from fields Ill be harvesting and measure them out and put my concave accordingly. Ya just want them to roll off the kernals, not smash the cobs into oblivion. Ya will have alot more capacity if your not filling your shoe up with broken cobs.

Here is another thread on the subject. It has a pic of whats coming out of my chopper showing the indentations on the cob.

http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/9-gleaner/171601-concave-r65.html

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Have you shimmed thresher bar? I like shimming them all by 1/4" and install sweeps. Do you have the steep pitch helicals on thresher side. I can't remember if all R76's had this but any leaving our shop did. Sounds like you flat out need to do a couple mods if you can't fix with simple adjustments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.